Pushbutton trans

-

Claydart

MOPAR to the very bones
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have a 64 Dart GT with a pushbutton trans. has anyone on here replaced just the buttons on the shifter setup?

I've disassembled the pushbutton mechanism and replaced the pushbuttons on my '62 Valiant. Did you have a question about it?

Yes I do. How hard is it to remove the buttons and replace with new buttons? I have a pushbutton in my Dart and the buttons are kind of crappy looking, and I have a spare pushbutton mechanism that has great looking buttons that are kind of clear so the light from inside the unit goes through like fiber optics.

I have a '62, so I'm not positive about the '64, but my pushbuttons pull straight off after removing the instrument cluster bezel, and push right back on again. The type of button is cast into small, raised print in the plastic at the bottom or inside of the button. When you try to insert a known type of button into its correct position with respect to the bezel, there will be only one actuator on the shift mechanism that lines up with it. It might be a good idea to draw a diagram of which actuator each button mates with on the shift mechanism before you remove them. Or take pictures.

IIRC, you need to remove the "typewriter" from the dash to remove the Neutral button. I think it's the one that fishhooks into a hole. If you yank on it to remove it, you'll break that hook off. I could be the drive button, but, one of them is made that way. The rest pull off....just lube them and don't go caveman on them. I've seen some of the metal fingers get damaged by using too much force.

IIRC, you need to remove the "typewriter" from the dash to remove the Neutral button. I think it's the one that fishhooks into a hole. If you yank on it to remove it, you'll break that hook off. I could be the drive button, but, one of them is made that way. The rest pull off....just lube them and don't go caveman on them. I've seen some of the metal fingers get damaged by using too much force.

This isn't for replacing the buttons specifically but it does show access and removal of the Drive button to get at the bulb...

I removed and refurbed the buttons on my 1964 Valiant. I had the whole assembly out and on the bench and recall you must remove the cable from the transmission for that. A good time to add a thermal sleeve over the cable where it runs near the exhaust pipe. I used silicone over fiberglass sleeve. I just cleaned the buttons and repainted, using white touch-up paint. Just smear it on and wipe off w/ a cloth lightly damp w/ lacquer thinner or such. Look like new. Before, you could barely read the letters. The shop manual shows the tricks in detaching the cable and adjusting so the detents in the transmission align with the button positions.

-
Back