Pushing your CAM button

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
Anyone have preference on cam buttons for roller cams? Is one easier to install than another..such as less shimming or grinding and measuring. Or is there one you can just buy and install right out of the package. What about brands, Comp, Lunati, Mancini, Crane or any others. How about what it's made of.. nylon, steel roller ect.
As always, your knowledge and years of experience is appreciated.

You have to fit or adjust them all. It's important to be smarter than the cam button you chose, as any of them can be made to work if you are. Maybe it is important to chose the simplest and least expensive button to try first.

I make myself an aluminum button or use the cheap Comp nylon. I still end up machining the bolt heads too.

I like and use the expensive AREngineering timing cover the best of them all. However I've never tried his cam button with his cover. It may work great.

You have to fit or adjust them all. It's important to be smarter than the cam button you chose, as any of them can be made to work if you are. Maybe it is important to chose the simplest and least expensive button to try first.

I make myself an aluminum button or use the cheap Comp nylon. I still end up machining the bolt heads too.

I like and use the expensive AREngineering timing cover the best of them all. However I've never tried his cam button with his cover. It may work great.
Thank you, I have heard the roller buttons last longer as far as wear and friction go. But I have never installed a cam button. So this is all new to me.

Do you really have a problem with cam walk, turning the oil pump pulls the cam back into the block doesn't it

Roller cams require the use of a cam button, flat tappet cams do not.

I've installed rollered buttons and also made nylon button ones myself. Wasn't quite impressed with the rollered buttons (I had), thinking if they fail you'd have a crap load of small metal parts being flung around near the timing chain.
I seem to have more faith in the nylon buttons.

Same here on the nylon button. I welded a big, thin stainless steel washer inside the stock timing cover to brace it from flexing so much, and added a plastic 'stick on strip' to the outside front that just barely touches the water pump. checked it again at the cam change recently, still .007 .

I used a roller button, shimmed it to the correct clearance and welded a washer on the timing cover so it contacts the back of the water pump to avoid flexing.

IMG_1060.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Do you really have a problem with cam walk, turning the oil pump pulls the cam back into the block doesn't it
Brian6pac, I was told that you have to use the cam button for roller cams. This is my first on, so it's a learning experience for me.

Same here on the nylon button. I welded a big, thin stainless steel washer inside the stock timing cover to brace it from flexing so much, and added a plastic 'stick on strip' to the outside front that just barely touches the water pump. checked it again at the cam change recently, still .007 .
Bob did you have to grind or adjust the height of the nylon button?

If your cam is walking around that much that you require a cam button? You have bigger problems. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Good luck on your quest for a answer.
Question? How many current factory roller cam motors have cam buttons? How many past roller cam motors had the same? Something to think about.

Good luck on your quest for a answer.
Question? How many current factory roller cam motors have cam buttons? How many past roller cam motors had the same? Something to think about.
That is a question like...how come our grandparents didn't have illnesses and diseases like we do today. I guess because times change. Just like when I was a kid, my dad ran ethyl or leaded gas and today we have unleaded, ethanol or premium. I think today everything is so sensored with electronics, they found a way to run rollers without cam buttons. As far as back in the day...I couldn't tell you that because this my first roller. But I can tell this, there's a lot more to it than I thought. I hope it's worth it in the end. Maybe some of these guys with more experience could tell you more about the old roller days. Perhaps..famous Bob, BigBlockMopar, Qkcuda, Sgtbarracuda...I'm sure there are many members that could help answer this question.

If your cam is walking around that much that you require a cam button? You have bigger problems. Sorry to rain on your parade.

Evidently , you have never ran a roller cam !!
All roller cams walk, and need something to keep it in tolerance.
Even the new engines have something to control it.
Sorry u showed ur ignorance on this subject.-----
Not that I haven`t done the same thing on other things !!

Please enlighten us. How many roller cams have you run/set up and in what engines?

Perhaps you answer was too generic and mine was too specific? My reference was to big block Chryslers. Yours was to all engines? Have you ever installed a roller cam in a big block Chrysler and tested the cam walk?

Last edited:
I was talking to a guy from Comp Cams and he told me they don't offer a button for a small block just a big block, when I ask him why he said must not need one for a small block??? What is the difference and he really couldn't answer that.

Small block has a retaining plate, big block does not.

My point, If you are a tech guy for a company you should know this off the top of your head or know where to find the answer, and he did put me on hold to look.

new e
My point, If you are a tech guy for a company you should know this off the top of your head or know where to find the answer, and he did put me on hold to look.

Most of those guys are chevy people down there !

My history. I'm a Dyno Tech for 38 yrs for one of the big 3 car company's. I've built & ran more engines than you would ever see in 3 of your life times. I'll let you continue on your quest for a answer. Good luck!

-
Back