Pushing your CAM button

-
Just as a reference as the type of work I do. My 408 6 Pack.

IMG_24951.jpg

I used allen heads, and still had to cut the heads down some-------

Does ARP sell Allen head timing gear bolts.
Don`t know, I used regular black 3/8' allen heads from a anywhere. Most are grade 8 around here. As long as possible too ! Just get the heads shorter than the button.

Digging through some old stuff....... came across this thread.

Question? How many current factory roller cam motors have cam buttons?

The factory doesn’t use a button for cam position retention....... but every v8 ohv engine with factory installed roller lifters has a means to positively locate the cam.

When retrofitting a roller cam into a block that doesn’t have any factory cam position retention, it must be added.
This is just retrofit roller cam 101.

The BBM never came factory equipped with a roller cam, so when you put one in, some form of cam position retention must be employed.
The thrust button is the most common way of doing this...... but not the only way.
For example, a Jesel timing belt system has a thrust plate/bearing designed into the cover.

When the factory started installing roller cams into what were at the time the two most popular v8 platforms in the world(SBC and BBC), which up until that point did not have way to positively locate the cam........ they added camshaft thrust plates to both.

Last edited:
-
Back