Pushrod question

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Searched everywhere but can't find what I am looking for....

Trick Flow Heads with the "recommended" Harland Sharp rockers require pushrods that are ball ends on both ends. The only pushrods I am finding are oil through and I am not running oil through roller lifters and now that I checked Harland Sharp's specs on the rockers, they too are designed for oil through. Is this going to be an issue?

I’m not an expert, but I’d like to upgrade to a set of TF heads. From the research I’ve done, no it won’t be an issue. Assuming you have an LA block, and the correct TF spec’d Harland sharp rockers, you can retain shaft oiling and use solid pushrods. The TF’s will work on either magnum or LA blocks, depending on valvetrain oiling.

Edit to add: If you are completely switching to pushrod oiling, I think you’d want to restrict the oil going through the deck to the shafts, that’d be a lot of oil going up top.

I’m not an expert, but I’d like to upgrade to a set of TF heads. From the research I’ve done, no it won’t be an issue. Assuming you have an LA block, and the correct TF spec’d Harland sharp rockers, you can retain shaft oiling and use solid pushrods. The TF’s will work on either magnum or LA blocks, depending on valvetrain oiling.

Edit to add: If you are completely switching to pushrod oiling, I think you’d want to restrict the oil going through the deck to the shafts, that’d be a lot of oil going up top.
Not switching to pushrod through oiling but the trick flow recommended Harland sharp rockers are set up for pushrod through oiling. My question is, will that be a problem in my LA?

Not switching to pushrod through oiling but the trick flow recommended Harland sharp rockers are set up for pushrod through oiling. My question is, will that be a problem in my LA?
There's four recommended rockers, S72025K or S72026K are for pushrod oiling, and S70025K or S70026K are for shaft oiling. Either way, you'd be sending oil up top with hollow pushrods. I'd consider that a problem.

There's four recommended rockers, S72025K or S72026K are for pushrod oiling, and S70025K or S70026K are for shaft oiling. Either way, you'd be sending oil up top with hollow pushrods. I'd consider that a problem.
Well crap, sounds like I got the wrong rockers then. Looks like I am ordering yet another set of rockers (3rd time's a charm right? lol) and some custom pushrods from probably Smith Brothers in the morning....

Last edited:
Oh, also it depends on the lifters being used. If your lifters aren't passing oil through to the pushrod then it might be ok. I'm not sure though, best to check with our more informed members.

Oh, also it depends on the lifters being used. If your lifters aren't passing oil through to the pushrod then it might be ok. I'm not sure though, best to check with our more informed members.
I have the correct lifters, got the wrong rockers (part number S72025K). Not sure how that happened which is why I couldn't find the right pushrods. All makes sense now... lol

Thanks for helping me figure out what the heck was going on with my setup.

Bill

Well crap, sounds like I got the wrong rockers then. Looks like I am ordering yet another set of rockers (3rd time'set knee a charm right? lol) and some custom pushrods from probably Smith Brothers in the morning....

If you are going to
Order a different set of rockers I would wait till you have your new rockers and take your measurements again. Proper measurements are so
Critical for proper oiling.

If you are going to
Order a different set of rockers I would wait till you have your new rockers and take your measurements again. Proper measurements are so
Critical for proper oiling.
Yup, rockers first, then remeasure for pushrods. Just another week delay to my build…. lol

Well crap, sounds like I got the wrong rockers then. Looks like I am ordering yet another set of rockers (3rd time's a charm right? lol) and some custom pushrods from probably Smith Brothers in the morning....
Smith brothers are awesome and they're quick

Hey Bill:
As long as the lifters do not have provisions for
oiling and the pushrods have thick enough wall ( 080 or more )
I do not foresee any problems.

I built a Big Block 493 with the TF heads and hollow pushrod a while back
and he has not had any issues.

How about if you just replaced the adjuster in the rocker to facilitate Cup
top pushrods and order then instead of replacing the rockers = Now that I think about it.

I’m calling Harland Sharp today to see if I can use these rockers before deciding what to do. Thanks all for the responses to my questions.

Harland Sharp for the win! They are sending me the correct rockers for my application and are allowing me to ship them the incorrect ones, even though they were bolted onto the heads to measure for pushrods lengths. That is some amazing customer service right there!

Thanks again for all the responses.

Bill

Harland Sharp for the win! They are sending me the correct rockers for my application and are allowing me to ship them the incorrect ones, even though they were bolted onto the heads to measure for pushrods lengths. That is some amazing customer service right there!

Thanks again for all the responses.

Bill

Probably one of the better companies out there. If they don’t make a particular rocker give them the specs and they will make it for you. They have done so twice for me.

I can read those guys pretty good and they are very tight lipped but they left out a little speculation. Nothing that I can say because they didn’t come out and admit to anything.

I can read those guys pretty good and they are very tight lipped but they left out a little speculation. Nothing that I can say because they didn’t come out and admit to anything.
There reps come to a lot of the major races.
Nice Suits and soft manicured hands.
Their hair is perfect too, but I do not
think they have ever built an engine in
their life.

I custom ordered an expensive set of rockers
for our 340 Stocker when they changed the rules.
I explained that my springs height must be 1.68 to
1.70. as in Stock.

Well they sent rockers for 1.90 or 2.00 valve spring
height. They would have needed 1/2 the rocker's thickness
removed to clear the stock springs and the geometry would
still be terrible.

I talked to the Techs at their place = they could not understand
the problem and talked down to me like I was 5 years old!

They for many years were one of the very best in the business and
it is a real shame. Fortunately, I still have a 5000 ft shop fully stocked with NOS
parts from the last century when people took pride in every part they produced.

Last edited:
-
Back