put the 8-3/4 in

-

plumcrazy704406

Reaction score
I finally got tired of tripping over the rear end and decided to do my "winter project" today. Pulled the 7.25 with no issues, put in the 8-3/4 while putting a few scrapes in the newly finished housing with only a couple of minor issues. The new brake lines were incorrect. looks like they may be for a later 8-3/4 with the brass breather more towards the centre pot, so I used the old ones. No rust at all on the old ones ,so............
But, since I have to shorten the driveshaft, I was going to put the wheels back on to move the car out of the way, when lo and behold, both axles are right hand threads!
Anyone know if I can re-use the left hand studs from the 7.25 rear end? Or can you still buy the leftie studs.

I think the 7.25 studs are smaller than the 8.75's. 7/16 vs 1/2 inch??? Its been a while so hopefully someone can confirm this for ya.

the lugs work on either rear, and the drums are the same. i always thought the 7.25 was smaller drums. Can't see the previous owner, changing studs on the 7.25. it looked like its never been out of the car.:dontknow:

i think all small bolt pattern are 7/16 my 69 dart came from original owners niece, which was old enough t ohave bought it new. it had rh studs all around. maybe during a brake job some one changed the studs out? who knows. all RH thread would be on top of my things to do list if i had lh studs. screw that.

Like most say, I would leave the RH studs. If you are just rolling the car around waiting to finish the drive shaft, you will only need 3 nuts on each side anyway.

-
Back