Put the Buffer to 20+ Year Old Paint Today

-

doc540

Reaction score
Never garaged, just covered in a SoCal driveway.

buffed using light compound, wiped with Speed Shine, then sealed with Griot's

Beauty from 15 feet

62a33f97-ca32-4f85-82c7-52b4169797a9_zpsysdzimaj.jpg

0ca9b471-8c94-479e-8e6a-e8fb4f3fdf04_zpse2qdojmg.jpg

Wow! With a little love it polished up nice. Love those Lancers and early Valiants. Virgil Exner design at it's best.

I attempted to buff the dull or flat factory finish on a 91 Bonneville not long ago.
Rewardless effort even with a 1500 grit wet sanding first. The clear could not be made to shine.
I take it your car must have been painted without use of a urethane clear coat.
Nice work, Looks great.

Thanks

Only have this pic which really doesn't show the flaws or dullness in the paint.

She sat chocked up in this driveway under a cover without being driven for the last five years.

It had so much spattered undercoat on the finish, I had to spend an hour with a razor blade removing the specs before I could even begin to compound it.

440728bc-d548-4de2-b8a5-b2176269914d_zpscbql05qy.jpg

It definitely took a shine.
ede1def2-3940-427b-bb08-5515d00120dc_zpsqddhti70.jpg

wow!!! I love that in black!! sweet!!!
I have a 62 lancer, one of my several piddly projects. it was a original white car. I have enough white left over from my 65 cuda t o paint the lancer, BUT I love that black!! I use acrylic urethane which I gal would paint it and its not that high ( what I use!!LOL).....

BUT, my cars home is open shided shed with a dirt floor. so you know how it would be to keep it anywhere near decent l;ooking. ( white paiont and dirt go well tog
ether!)...

again my I say I love your dodge!!!!!!

I spent hours upon hours working on the finish for my Valiant. At first was a very chalky white but after buffing, polishing and waxing it has a nice cream colored finish. No clear coat.

Attachments

• DSCN4041.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN4494.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 274
I spent hours upon hours working on the finish for my Valiant. At first was a very chalky white but after buffing, polishing and waxing it has a nice cream colored finish. No clear coat.

that really good I think I remember when you showed pics of it when you brought it home?? good old "elbow grease!!" LOL

-
Back