Putting a small block where a six banger once lived

-

345man2

Reaction score
:Dhey guys wondering what is the easiest, best, and way to put a small block in my six banger car , would it be the shumaker mounts and leave it all six banger stuff or switch the k frame?

What year car? Makes a difference, especially if it's an early A.

Easiest way is the Schumacher mounts. Keep in mind you'll need a lot more than just an engine. You need a new transmission, exhaust system, radiator, shift linkage, etc. I'm forgetting some things too.

Best way is probably to swap to a V8 K member, but that's a lot more work, and probably not a noticeable difference,if any, for most folks.

Keep in mind your /6 car also has /6 torsion bars, which were too small for the /6 let alone a V8. And you probably also have a 7.25" rear end, which won't last long behind most V8's. You may even have 9" drums in the front, which should also be swapped out with a V8. This stuff isn't mandatory to make the swap work, but if you want your car to safely handle the extra power, they're things that should be improved.

I bought the Schumacher mounts then ended up just swapping the whole K member. It is probably easier just doing the mounts, but the K member swap really wasn't very hard either. Only took a few hours.

I have the Shumakers now as the previous owner used them to install my engine. Nothing wrong with them at all, only a trained eye knows that they're there. When I rebuild my engine, I'm swapping in a V8 K frame and selling the mounts.

:Dits a 71 duster and yeah ive got all the other stuff for the swap just trying to figure out frmae or mounts, thaanks guys and keep them coming

Went with the Schumacher mounts. Very easy to do. And I kept the /6 torsion bars, better for drag racing.... I just cranked them up a bit.

Used the schumaker mounts on Debbie's '71 Duster (just back on the road-see my post today): so far, so good!

conversion mounts, radiator and exhaust and you are good to go. if you use a 727 you will need to shorten your shaft or find one

-
Back