Putting discs on the Dart, have more questions.

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I plan on putting some disc brakes off of a 73 Dart onto my 67. I bought the upper control arms/spindle/caliper set up at a swap meet.

My questions concern the need for me to use a V-8 drop drag link. I plan on completely rebuilding my front suspension. My dart was originally a slant 6, with 9 inch drums. A guy I know has a "drop down" drag link, from a big block 68 Cuda that I can get pretty cheap.

To further complicate things, I want to buy some 67-72 lower control arms that have the factory sway bar tabs. Does anyone know what sway bar I would be able to run with these? If it is a stock 67-69 Dart V-8 sway bar, how hard are these to find?

All of this combining different years and different engines, is confusing even when you're doing the front suspension! Thanks for your replies.

I plan on putting some disc brakes off of a 73 Dart onto my 67. I bought the upper control arms/spindle/caliper set up at a swap meet.

My questions concern the need for me to use a V-8 drop drag link. I plan on completely rebuilding my front suspension. My dart was originally a slant 6, with 9 inch drums. A guy I know has a "drop down" drag link, from a big block 68 Cuda that I can get pretty cheap. you shouldn't need a drag link, they are the same from 68-72 V8 or /6 and thought the 67 was teh same as 68

To further complicate things, I want to buy some 67-72 lower control arms that have the factory sway bar tabs. Does anyone know what sway bar I would be able to run with these? If it is a stock 67-69 Dart V-8 sway bar, how hard are these to find? 67-72 sway bar only. You can't run tne 73+. Attachment points for the 73+ are different and it runs through the k frame.

Thanks for your quick response.

I guess I should have given more info in my original post. My dart has a 340 in it now using the Shumaker mounts, and the drag link fits fine. So I guess the drop link is not necessary? Is the big block drag link stronger/thicker than my slant 6 one or the same?

Also, will the factory sway bar fit through the slant 6 k member?

There are only 2 factory sway bar designs around the K slant 6 and V8
and through the K slant and V8.
The mounting is all different for both and not interchangable. YOu can hunt the early lower arms with tabs welded on and pay far too much for them or rob pictures off ebay and weld tabs on yours. Good luck finding that bar and forward mounts that dont have bolt ears broken off.
Bottom line... just buy an aftermarket swaybar kit from Addco , Hellwig, whoever.

I found some nice lower control arms w/tabs for a decent price. What your saying is finding the sway bar to fit them will be too expensive?

I have a stock swaybar that came off a 69 formula S car one of the mounts are broken off. If you can do a little fab work you can make a new one. I had one made for 30 bucks. Let me know if you are insterested.

I found some nice lower control arms w/tabs for a decent price. What your saying is finding the sway bar to fit them will be too expensive?
Opinions vary on "decent price" Beware sellers who dont know those tabs are welded on in 2 different places for the 2 different bars and not interchangable.
You may find the bar with good forward mounts at a "decent price" too.
Incase you're wondering why the factory changed the design. The early bar was mounted more forward to the lower arm and the disc brake caliper would hit it. So they cut openings in the same K member and routed a bar through it. That also moved the forward bushing mounts out of harms way.

I'll probably end up using one of these from Firm feel. Just don't know which one. The one for non tabbed control arms looks like clearances are pretty tight. So do I buy the tabbed control arms and the sway bar to fit them?

http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_a.htm

Any advantage to running the heavier sway bar on a street driven small block? What about the control arm stiffening plates they are recommending?

Thanks for all your help!

any swaybar will make a big difference in cornering. I'd use a standard grade front bar then add maybe add a rear bar. I think those lpwer arm stifners are more for wheel standers but I dont know everything.
I'm curious as to the "decent price" on lower arms for early A with tabs. There is a set on ebay for 250.00 Been relisted for months (maybe years) LOL

I think I can pick them up for $150 and they have been blasted and painted already.

I saw those ones on Ebay, he is awful proud of them. I found these on Moparts A body section.

The front anti-sway bar reduces body roll at the expense of increased understeer. A heavier bar will make this more pronounced. I am using a stock sway bar on a 75 K-frame and a rear bar mounted a'la A39 Dart. I think I have a very drivable combination.

-
Back