Putting the 360 together

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
Well, I've started the build. Here are some pics from today. I got it mounted on the stand and the rear seals and crank in. It had the build wash done at the shop, so it's clean. This is a 90 360, bored .030 over. I have a balanced assembly (KB 107's and Eagle rods) The crank is standard and set up for a 4 spd. I'm hoping to use the 308 heads from it, they have to be checked for cracks yet. This is my winter project.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0952.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 568
  • WP_000030.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 572
Subscribed

I have the same motor waiting for me to do something with it.

Subscribed. My 360 short block it together already just waiting my my J heads to get ported and valve job completed.

Putting the Hyd Roller back in it? Good block as a baseline to start with.

Putting the Hyd Roller back in it? Good block as a baseline to start with.

Oh yeah!! I have a new set of Eaton roller lifters, I haven't picked out the cam yet. It's going in my convertible so it won't be anything big. I think I'll need to bleed off some cyl pressure though. I'll have to take a pic of the pistons when I get that far, 2 of them are slightly different. The machinist wasn't worried and it all balanced fine. It's something to remember when you order a set.

This block had a lot of scale, I've never seen a casting rust like that. I's got to be the alloy they used. How was yours?

No rust at all. 19k miles pulled out of a wrecked 89 van. Sat around for 20 years before i bought it.

No, this is the first build in a few years. I'm not too excited about the 408 motors. If I was to build one of them I'd max it out with a 4.250 crank. I like the stroke/rod ratio on the 360 and 400's. Anyway, I spent the last 3 years keeping the pontiacs running. Thats a full time job!

I've been tied up with Thanksgiving and family, so today I got back to the motor. I have 2 pistons mounted and in, they sit +.0001 out of the hole. This looks like more then I expected. I had the block decked to factory spec's so I guess I'll be looking for thicker head gaskets. I hope to get the rest in by next Monday unless I break a ring or two..LOL

Take a look at the windage tray you have. I think you may have the main bolts in the wrong places...

The machinist line bored the mains and sent it back with the caps in place. We checked the numbering before it left the shop but when we put the crank in I might have switched them. I do remember looking at them as we put them in. I'll check tonight again and take some pics. Thanks Moper.

Nice catch, I was so busy checking the little things I missed that!

Attachments

• Image00033.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 423
  • Image00036.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 411
  • Image00051.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 431
  • Image00050.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 440
  • Image00023.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 414
  • Image00007.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Image00001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 423
I've been a little busy with work, but I want to get back to it next week. I and the machinist missed one problem. The pistons are flycut for the valves and you need 4 with the exhaust on the left and 4 with the notch on the right...I have 5 and 3! I called KB and they will send out a new piston if I give them the exact weight of the old one. So next week I'll pull one and have the shop weigh it. Ain't this hobby fun???

Nothing good comes easy, it seems.
Thanks for the update.
Fun winter project.

I've been finishing up the short block today. This took more time then I expected, guess I'm too fussy. Just 2 things left to nail down now, the cam and the clutch package. The build is the standard KB 107, eagle rods, standard crank and 308 heads. I had some minor problems with the build, 1 wrong piston and some ring headaches (they are file fit). The balance came in at less then 1 gram, I used the Harbor Freight scales.

Attachments

• Image00126.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Image00122.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 229
  • Image00120.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 225
Nice work. I'll be interested in your cam choice as well. I have a 360 Magnum waiting no bottom end work planned so stock compression.
I'll use aftermarket heads. What will your compression be?

-
Back