Pypes exhaust

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this system? How does it sound? Fit?
I saw it in the Sumitt cat. and it seems like a reasonable price.

I did the same thing with the Summit X kit and there dumps
just before the mufflers. It's quiter than you think it would
be. In the staging lanes at the track I have to rev it up to
hear it running next to cars with just open headers. If you
want to save a buck, try it. Cost you about less than half.

I have heard very good things about them from other boards. (MoPar boards)
I'm interested myself. There supossed to have something for my late B body Magnum.

My question is : how's the fit with TTI's , does anybody know, they recommend hookers so maybe theres an issue ? When I called them, they weren't familiar with TTI headers.

I think I am going to give them a try also I was going to go with TTI but this system looks good and is over half the price. Those of you that bought it let us know how you like it I need to decide between the Street Pro or the Race Pro mufflers.

Anybody know ? If nothing else, I'm sure they could be adapted to work somehow (?)

I think it's easily adaptable to most any header system. The extra material and modularity of the kit make it relatively easy. The exception would be the use of Schumacher's - which are shorty headers. Downpipes have to be fabbed and added.

Some trimming is required. The x-pipe is longer than it needs to be if you locate the x where they suggest. You will also have to supply your own flanges to join the x pipe to your collectors.

I just ordered a set of Pypes Violator along with TTI's for my 383 Dart. I read on one of the boards that the system was intially designed with a 68 383 Dart with 1 3/4 TTI headers. I wont have time to install them for another month or two, but I'm quite confident everything should fit reasonably well. Great deal for mandrel bent 2 1/2" x pipe stainless! Might want to "search" over at Moparts or Big Block Dart sites. PG and BE&A have the 2 1/2" & 3" Chrome exhaust tips aswell.

I got my pypes system today, I took it out of the box and took some pics. It looks really nice, but the tail pipes seem to line up odd, I am going to have to test fit them to see how they fit. Any one else have them yet? How did the tailpipes fit?

100_1935.jpg

100_1934.jpg

100_1933.jpg

I went to summit today to see about ordering the pypes system and all they list now are stainless steel kits for $335. Didn't they offer just aluminized or did the prices just go up?

those rats just raised the prices! i was looking at them last week and the set that i wanted was $256 now it's $335. wtf! but it is still half the price of TTI and stainless. i should get them soon before they raise prices again.

those rats just raised the prices! i was looking at them last week and the set that i wanted was $256 now it's $335. wtf! but it is still half the price of TTI and stainless. i should get them soon before they raise prices again.

I saw that and it pissed me off... LOL

are the summit exhaust kits for a-bodies any good (the ones with and without mufflers)...i was looking into them since they seem pretty cheap....just wondering if anyone has any experience with them and if they are any good

i ordered a set for my dart shortly after they raised the prices, which they have raised again btw. if you dry fit the system together on the garage floor you will find that the tail pipes are about 24 inches apart, the gas tank is 28 in. wide, and the frame rails where you would mount the pipes to are 34 in. apart. if you put the pipes where they need to be and then mount the mufflers you can't put on the X pipe due to the mufflers being splayed at an angle / \.
i called their customer install line to find out what needs to be done and they told me that i need two people to install the system. (oh i see, two people can magically bend 2.5 in stainless tubing, where only one can't) they also pointed me to the installation gallery where there is a 69 dart with their system. the pics show a very nice professional job with almost every one of their components altered to make it fit. they even bent the X pipe to make the mufflers fit right.
if you are thinking that this system is a simple bolt on and go job you should think again.
i'm trying to decide between taking the X pipe to a shop and have it bent or cutting the X open prying it apart and welding it back up. oh, and the front half of the X doesn't land between the humps in the crossmember nor line up with hedman headers, even more work up front.
wish me luck!

i ordered a set for my dart shortly after they raised the prices, which they have raised again btw. if you dry fit the system together on the garage floor you will find that the tail pipes are about 24 inches apart, the gas tank is 28 in. wide, and the frame rails where you would mount the pipes to are 34 in. apart. if you put the pipes where they need to be and then mount the mufflers you can't put on the X pipe due to the mufflers being splayed at an angle / \.
i called their customer install line to find out what needs to be done and they told me that i need two people to install the system. (oh i see, two people can magically bend 2.5 in stainless tubing, where only one can't) they also pointed me to the installation gallery where there is a 69 dart with their system. the pics show a very nice professional job with almost every one of their components altered to make it fit. they even bent the X pipe to make the mufflers fit right.
if you are thinking that this system is a simple bolt on and go job you should think again.
i'm trying to decide between taking the X pipe to a shop and have it bent or cutting the X open prying it apart and welding it back up. oh, and the front half of the X doesn't land between the humps in the crossmember nor line up with hedman headers, even more work up front.
wish me luck!

not saying you are wrong im not that kind of guy but i do work with exhaust all day long and there is basicly two options i can se especialy after looking at pics on pypes website
1. you got the wrong pipes
2. you got the wrong mufflers (seems real odd to me that they use mufflers with inlets/oulet offset/offset when stock mopars use mufflers that are offset/center)
a real long stretch would be X pipe backwards when puting system togheter on the floor but doesnt seem likely to me since most of them are using the same angles both front and back..
good you noticed this before trying to instal atleast!
second alternative doesnt seem to far of when i think of the aproximate distance missing betwen the tailpipes
most of these systems are just made to fit transmissioncrossmember and back since headers are a nighmare fore someone trying to create a complete exhaust kit since all headers end at diferent locations:(

I will be installing mine at the end of this month. TTI 1 3/4 headers, mini tubbed with a B Body gas tank. I expect to have to make a few changes, even though they say there should be no issues. Keep you posted .. ..

wish me luck!

I resurrected this old thread because I spent the last 2 days trying to make a Pypes 2-1/2" SS system fit my 68 Cuda. Swinger367 is exactly right on with his statements. Oh yeah, I did have a 2nd guy helping me and I can guarantee you 2 normal guys cannot stretch the rear pipes of the X pipe enough to get the mufflers far enough apart to get the tail pipes in. Heck we had to use a porta power to stretch it enough to clear the yoke on the rearend (I realize when the car is on the ground the yoke is no where near the muffs but when you jack it up the rearend drops down to where the yoke is dead center between the muffs and I want things to clear at all times). I'm calling Pypes Monday to see what they say. Right now I'm guessing I'll end up taking it to the muffler shop and have them take off the X pipe and put an S bend in each head pipe right before the mufflers to move them out a couple inches in each side so the tail pipes can be installed.

not saying you are wrong im not that kind of guy but i do work with exhaust all day long and there is basicly two options i can se especialy after looking at pics on pypes website
1. you got the wrong pipes
2. you got the wrong mufflers (seems real odd to me that they use mufflers with inlets/oulet offset/offset when stock mopars use mufflers that are offset/center)
a real long stretch would be X pipe backwards when puting system togheter on the floor but doesnt seem likely to me since most of them are using the same angles both front and back..
good you noticed this before trying to instal atleast!
second alternative doesnt seem to far of when i think of the aproximate distance missing betwen the tailpipes
most of these systems are just made to fit transmissioncrossmember and back since headers are a nighmare fore someone trying to create a complete exhaust kit since all headers end at diferent locations:(

The X is marked which way it goes on. The pics Swinger 367 posted shows it correctly assembled. I noticed the muffs being offset/offset vs. stock muffs that are offset/center but the stock type (offset/center) would even be worse as the tailpipes are too close together now.

The only way I'm going to comment on MY pypes install would be to use a lot of swearing and name calling. In a way I'm glad it's not just me. Oh, and the tailpipes don't match left to right. If you look at the pics of the 69 Dart on the pypes site, you will note that even THEY (with a lift) could not get this installed without all kinds of tweaking. Had I seen those pics first, I would have never bought this system. I would rather change a clutch than install this system again.

I have that System on my Duster,and I love it! I didn't install it,it was already on the car when I bought it. This summer I took out the 360 that was in the car and installed a 1970 340 with stock manifolds,and it still sounds great! I love it! Craig.

The only way I'm going to comment on MY pypes install would be to use a lot of swearing and name calling. In a way I'm glad it's not just me. Oh, and the tailpipes don't match left to right. If you look at the pics of the 69 Dart on the pypes site, you will note that even THEY (with a lift) could not get this installed without all kinds of tweaking. Had I seen those pics first, I would have never bought this system. I would rather change a clutch than install this system again.

I ended up taking my system to the local shop and they ended up cutting it all up to get it to fit correctly. They told me that they could have custom built me a better set up for the same money. At the end of the day it cost me $300.00 to have it corrected. I also bought a set of the HYE-10 electric cut outs. Worked great for about 15 hours and now the one side will not seal properly. I called and followed their recomendations and the motor just doesnt seam right. As I live in Canada, they were not willing to help me with additional cost, I would be responsible for freight / Duty etc. and have my car down while I waited for them to fix it. I had offered to give my credit card info as security and ship the defective unit back and have the send a replacement. No go, "not the way we do business" Don't expect any help from pypes. Im my opion, once bitten twice shy, 3rd time .......... ****

-
Back