Quadrajet

Quadrajet: Like it or hate it?

• Like the quadrajet

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Hate the quadrajet

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
-
I have had one on several cars over the years. They are fine but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one unless I was restoring something that came with one originally.

like it easy to set the choke and fast idle , if you can find one with the throttle shaft not worn out that was the problem

It's main problem is the fuel bowl is too small. Fine for just a street car but not for racing, you can run them dry.

I voted I like them too but only in a very mild perf. application or if it original for the vehicle and you want to keep it original. Their good carbs. but like Guitar said the fuel bowl is so small they aren't super perf. carbs.

296K miles on mine with just two kits and one worn throttle shaft fix, probably the best carb I have ever owned.

I really like the QJ, they are very simple to work on, & stay in tune quit well, but like Guitar said, the fuel bowl is small.

I like it. It's one of the better daily driver carbs. Mine hated damp or wet weather so I guess the bowl wasnt vented correctly.

It made a good carb after I replaced the floats with brass units. Was floading and puking fuel with the old phenolics as they soak up gas when they get old. Good idea to use brass floats on any carb rebuilt!

While its true that the q-jet has a small fuel bowl you can drill holes through the partition wall in the bowl to increase fuel capacity as there are empty cavities next to the bowl. If I remember correctly the big block GM q-jets of certain years had needle/seats that had larger orifices to allow more fuel to flow.

TQ's RULE! Quadrajets are also a good carb. There are GM guys that can tune the hell out of those carbs.

I have been very happy with my TQ for the last few years and got good performance and fuel mileage. Last year on the trip to Carlisle, the center section warped and now I have the usual issues. It leaks and is hard to start, but it still runs good.

My plan was to flat sand the center section so it will seal, but If it warped once it could happen again. I'm going to try an Edelbrock for the Summer and see how it goes.

I will miss the sound when those huge secondaries open up.

Sorry, I read the thread wrong. I thought it was on a Mopar carb. My Bad.

I hate holleys with a passion, i use edelbrock on all my stuff but when i was running my one and only holley i had a quadrajet under the seat in a bag for a spare. That was my 69 chevy c10, 406 small block, 400 trans. 4/6 slammed short bed. Tried to give to my son did not want it bought a mustang?

I hate holleys with a passion, i use edelbrock on all my stuff but when i was running my one and only holley i had a quadrajet under the seat in a bag for a spare. That was my 69 chevy c10, 406 small block, 400 trans. 4/6 slammed short bed. Tried to give to my son did not want it bought a mustang?

I just have to ask.

Why do you hate Holleys?:happy1::drinkers::toothy7::toothy7:

I had several on the that truck i was speaking of and always left me stranded some where. Just my personal opinion of them, after using edelbrock carbs for the last 18 years and never having a problem. I've formed the opinion that i don't like them it's sad when you have to carry a quad for a spare. [ I have nothing against quads used them for years]. I have friends that like them but i don't.

-
Back