quarter panel replacement

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the drivers side quarter panel on my 72 dart. I need some advise on where to cut the old off at. Should I cut below the top body line and try to butt weld the new on and drill out the spot welds inside the door frame and tack the new panel in place? Or should I cut around the panel and flange the remaining metal to attach the new panel too? Any advice or pics will be appreciated.

You should get the panel before doing any cutting.....Get the full quarter from AMD and replace it as the panel dictates (drilling out the spotwelds).

What you want to do is get the new one, place over the original and trace the outline where it meets with the pilar, remove it cut the old one about 2" under that line, drill all spot welds supportin qtr, then remove old. then place the new qtr making sure everything is in place(wheel well,door jamb,etc...), then cut the overlap even with top of new qtr, using a cutting wheel at a downward angle. Weld new qtr. Make sure door is on and lined up with qtr when fitting new one.

You should get the panel before doing any cutting.....Get the full quarter from AMD and replace it as the panel dictates (drilling out the spotwelds).

Just did both quarters on my '72 Scamp and I would definitly recommend the full quarters. They may be a little more pricey, but they require a whole lot less finish work. Much easier to install the full ones.

Wish, did you happen to take any pics of your quarter panel installation? Trying to get motivated to get this done. The replacement quarters I have don't go up to the piller. I bought them several years ago. I wasnt even aware that anyone made the full quarters until this week.

Don't think I have any pics of the installation. I used the Goodmark quarters that don't go up the pillar on my car. That was a lot of work and a lot of welding. I would have gotten the full quarters but when I was doing the bodywork, full quarters weren't available. Then not too long ago I helped a buddy replace the quarters on his 'Cuda, only he got the full quarters that go up the pillar. They were much easier to install. Well worth the extra price for the full quarters in my opinion.

Wish, did you cut just below the body line on the side of your quarters or did you cut along the top of the quarter? and did you butt the two pieces up together to weld or did you use a flanger and overlap the two?

I just did full AMD quarters on my 69 Dart. I won't say it was easy, but I think it was easier than doing the partials everyone else sells. The idea is simple:

1) cut the quarter panel off 1-2 inches from the spot welds that need to be drilled out
2) melt lead out of roof and rocker seams (the roof seam will be the hardest to drill out and separate, it's ugly under all that lead)
3) drill out spotwelds
4) remove quarter
5) install new quarter

I will say, it was a huge undertaken removing the first quarter panel and I injured a bunch of metal with an air hammer/chisel (try to avoid using that as much as possible). Take your time and pull drill out every single spot weld (and there will be some you least expect them, and you'll be fine. The second quarter panel came off a lot faster. The fitment on my panels was great, drivers side a little better than passenger but nothing major.

I put two full quarters on my car. I had never done anything like this before. The trick is go slow and make sure you clamp everything in place before you weld it. I did not have my quarter panel end caps on when I clamped it in place and the trunk lid hit after I welded it (oops) live and learn. My suggestion would be clamp and tack them on put everything back on to make sure it still lines up (doors, trunk lid, end caps and make sure you pull the glass out the welding sparks will leave marks in the glass that won't come out (another oops). I did a driver door jam (last pic and a spare tire well and trunk extensions also).

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

IMG_9397.jpg

IMG_9398.jpg

IMG_9401.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg

Check this article out it may help if you don't have full quarters. Go to mopar muscle magazine and search for major surgery part 1 and 2. They put a partial quarter on a B-body. Lot's of good info. Let me know if you can't find it. I'm not sure if I can post an article from a magazine on this site?

Wish, did you cut just below the body line on the side of your quarters or did you cut along the top of the quarter? and did you butt the two pieces up together to weld or did you use a flanger and overlap the two?

I cut just below the top edge of the quarter. I left about an inch or two hanging down so I could flange it.

Alright, I've read the articles. I purchased the panels a couple of years ago. I got started today. I'm in deep caca now. Going to have to improvise on some trunk patches around the back panel/ bumper supports. Wish me luck.

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

I bought them several years ago. I wasnt even aware that anyone made the full quarters until this week.

I bought the partial quarters for my Dart years ago but once AMD came out with their full quarters, I went and bought a set and tossed the partials in the attic.

This is one of those jobs that if you are going to take the time to do, then do it right and use the best parts available. The partial quarters take a lot of body work to make them look good and when it is all done, you have a quarter that has no rust but has a ton of body work done to it.

The quality of the car you end up with reflects the quality of the parts you use. Your car may look great when you finish but the value of your car will also reflect what parts you use and for the price difference, the AMD quarters are worth twice what they sell for.

From the looks of the rust in your trunk extensions, you are going to need them as well and it will be a lot easier to get everything you need from a good manufacturer so it all fits correctly.

Check this article out it may help if you don't have full quarters. Go to mopar muscle magazine and search for major surgery part 1 and 2. They put a partial quarter on a B-body. Lot's of good info. Let me know if you can't find it. I'm not sure if I can post an article from a magazine on this site?
Part 1

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0506_panel_rust_removal/index.html

part 2
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/body/mopp_0507_panel_rust_removal_2/index.html

On my 70 Duster, I cut between the top, and next crease, and butt welded. I had better control of adjusting to the remaining creases, that way.
Take measurements on all creases first, from level on the ground. I found that both sides can differ. The bottom of the wheelwell gets wierd, no strings will work- compound curves.

I bought a trunk extension from AMD. Very nice piece and it fits exactly like the original. I did the rh side a couple years back and all I could find was 67-69 trunk extensions. I had to modify it to fit. Wish AMD had these a couple years back. I'm just putting together a nice driver for the wife.

IMG_2387.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

I put two full quarters on my car. I had never done anything like this before. The trick is go slow and make sure you clamp everything in place before you weld it. I did not have my quarter panel end caps on when I clamped it in place and the trunk lid hit after I welded it (oops) live and learn. My suggestion would be clamp and tack them on put everything back on to make sure it still lines up (doors, trunk lid, end caps and make sure you pull the glass out the welding sparks will leave marks in the glass that won't come out (another oops). I did a driver door jam (last pic and a spare tire well and trunk extensions also).

how good were the stampings of the body lines? my 72 has no rust but has lots of waves from years of LA traffic......in the past the repops had very "soft" lines

This is one of those jobs that if you are going to take the time to do, then do it right and use the best parts available. The partial quarters take a lot of body work to make them look good and when it is all done, you have a quarter that has no rust but has a ton of body work done to it.

The quality of the car you end up with reflects the quality of the parts you use. Your car may look great when you finish but the value of your car will also reflect what parts you use and for the price difference, the AMD quarters are worth twice what they sell for.

Amen to that

Being AMD distributor, I thought lower patches should work fine for 69 Dart GT I'm working on right now,because quarters looked pretty solid ,I spent hours just welding up swiss cheese metal from vinyl top around the bottom corners of the back glass area, and regret that I didn't sped extra couple hundered bucks a set of new quarters ,once I blasted the metal,I found more pinholes in rockers,tailight areas and trunk gutters,

so if you have rust in rockers between doors and rear tires and lower rear sections, don't try to patch,just buy new quarters ,

Stefan

-
Back