QUESTION:1966 PLYMOUTH VALIANT

-
No, but I put a Gen3 Hemi in a 66 Barracuda, which is practically the same car. I also have a 66 Valiant but it's just got a lowly ol' /6! :rolleyes: If you really meant a Gen II (early) hemi you're posting in the wrong forum.

No, but I put a Gen3 Hemi in a 66 Barracuda, which is practically the same car. I also have a 66 Valiant but it's just got a lowly ol' /6! :rolleyes: If you really meant a Gen II (early) hemi you're posting in the wrong forum.
YEP EARLY ONE

It had its challenges to say the least: exhaust, fitment, accessories, K frame, tranny tunnel, etc. One idea we took from the old Super Stock Hurst hemi 68 Barracuda was using steel braided flex lines from the master cylinder to the hard lines in the frame so that I can unbolt the master cylinder and place it on the fender without opening up the hydraulic system in order to change spark plugs or remove the valve cover. Other than that my experience with exhaust, accessories, cooling etc will be a completely different ball game than for a gen2 hemi swap. I used the RMS Alterktion for clearance and other advantages but had to refab the driverside motor mount for Jeep SRT8 exhuast manifolds, again that won't apply to you and you'd likely encounter other unique challenges. I notice that there isn't a forum for old hemi swaps so I'm not sure where a better place for your query is.

DID ANYONE PUT ONE EARLY HEMI IN A 1966 PLYMOUTH VALIANT ?????
What motor are you thinking of using? My neighbor put a 241 Dodge hemi in a 64 Valiant wagon. It has an Offy intake with 3 deuces and a home made air cleaner that looks really great. I think the engine wells are the same as a 66. They became wider in 67. I know the 241 is quite a bit smaller than a 331-392, but he didn't have to do any cutting. I am doing a 57 Desoto 341 hemi in my 67 Valiant. The engine well is a little wider, but I did have to cut away some of the passenger side shock tower, remove the windshield wiper motor and cut away a bit of the firewall in that area, move the master cylinder over about 1-1/4", and raise the motor about 1-1/2" to keep the headers off the steering box which meant I also had to raise the tranny tunnel a bit. Because everything is so tight, I mounted the motor solid so that it wouldn't be slamming against stuff.

003.JPG

005.JPG

hemi in car7.jpg

The Dodge, what they call the Baby Hemi, is quite a bit lighter, shorter as well as more narrow than the Desoto and Chrysler 1st generation hemi. We put a 57 Dodge 325+ ci in my 38 Ford standard sedan. No real problems, but we did make a contoured firewall for better rear fitment. I call it my 1961 Hotrod on account of most modifications could have been done in 1961. Well, except for the Mustang style front suspension and heat/AC system.

-
Back