question about a dodge ram

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a 96 dodge ram at a good price. I miss having a truck. I went to drive the truck today and although it has high mileage, it ran really well. When I went to park the truck the transmission jerked when I put it in reverse. Just curious if anyone here could give me any advice as to what to do.

Not sure what else to say
when you put it in reverse it jerks hard but backs up okay. Driving on the road in drive it did really well

Manual or auto?
Sounds like the engine not properly disengaging or the reverse gear not wanting to line up

I can purchase the truck cheap, but will need tires and am concerned about the transmission. Thanks for your information. When I pulled in to park, I stopped and easily put it into park. Didn't jam it or anything.

Sometimes when I first start my truck I have to wait up to about 10 seconds before it goes into reverse or drive but its still working fine thousands of miles later. Not sure if its the same thing as you are describing but if it's a good deal then it might be worth the gamble. I guess what I'm saying is it might be minor or it might be the death throws of the transmission.

I guess since it's an auto I'd start by checking the fluid

Not sure what else to say
when you put it in reverse it jerks hard but backs up okay. Driving on the road in drive it did really well
Sounds like it needs a basic tranny filter and fluid change. Old filters that need changing tend to clog up a little bit and then when the pressure gets up, the fluid suddenly flows and it sort of slams and jerks into gear. Especially noticeable in reverse. In drive, they may slip a little until the fluid warms up and flow better.

Sometimes when I first start my truck I have to wait up to about 10 seconds before it goes into reverse or drive but its still working fine thousands of miles later. Not sure if its the same thing as you are describing but if it's a good deal then it might be worth the gamble. I guess what I'm saying is it might be minor or it might be the death throws of the transmission.

This might be from converter drain. I always start mine in neutral, not park, which causes the circuits in the trans to refill the converter

The "White Whale" has nearly 200K ona 5.2 and automatic. I'm not certain, but I think the auto in mine was rebuild. One CAVEAT is the oil pickup in the newer engines. I'm convinced it was the loss of pressure problem in mine. I replace it with the older style pickup from the late '80's. This is something you cannot do with a 5.2--5.9 in a Dakota and likely a Jeep, as the pan sump is too small.

Thread on the subject..........

Well guys the "White Whale" is very ill, engine time......

Old style "better" pickup on left, the "new" worse style on the right

pickup-jpg.jpg

In the process of tearing down some more engines, I've found three different designs
Dakota/ other projects are kickin my old A$$
img_0908cs-jpg.jpg

img_0902cs-jpg.jpg

OP, this a 4x4? Maybe the chain in the transfer case is getting worn. Also, it could be considered "normal" for some jerk, with a little play in a high-miles rear axle.

I remember some TSBs on accumulator and servo pistons back then, but with that many miles, I would suspect they would have been addressed already. Like above, check fluid condition with engine running in neutral, try changing fluid and filter with ATF+4

check u-joints,...one get slop theyll feel n sound jerky some times,...but id bet on fluid an filter most likely....

Thanks for your information. This truck has a really nice body and the interior is excellent. Most of the dashboards have the top cracked and broken on the dodge ram trucks.
Everything worked so well on the test drive that it worried me when I put it in reverse. It was a harsh jerk. If I make the purchase I will change the filter and fluid and hope that helps. At the very worst, I can find a used transmission.
Thanks again. Seems like seems always keep me from working on my Barracuda!

-
Back