Question about cam bearing alignment

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

I noticed that the oil hole in my #1 cam bearing isn't quite lined up with the feed hole. The bearing is flush on both sides of it's bore so the hole in the block must be off a bit.

Should I try to go down the hole in the block with a long drill and open up the hole in the bearing to match the block? BTW, it looks worse in the photo b/c of the angle and the shadow, than it really is.

The others look good, Although I did notice that in bearing 4-5 (can't remember now which one) there are three holes in the cam bearing but only the bottom hole goes anywhere. I'm guessing that those extra holes in the bearing are for another application??

IMG_20170629_193848652.jpg

Run it. It needs almost no pressure or flow

Hey All,

I noticed that the oil hole in my #1 cam bearing isn't quite lined up with the feed hole. The bearing is flush on both sides of it's bore so the hole in the block must be off a bit.

Should I try to go down the hole in the block with a long drill and open up the hole in the bearing to match the block? BTW, it looks worse in the photo b/c of the angle and the shadow, than it really is.

The others look good, Although I did notice that in bearing 4-5 (can't remember now which one) there are three holes in the cam bearing but only the bottom hole goes anywhere. I'm guessing that those extra holes in the bearing are for another application??

View attachment 1715062024
number 2 and 4 cam bearings have 3 holes., one comes up from main bearing, one of others goes to passage to cyl head, for oil to rocker arms.

We would allow up to half the hole to be covered at the engine factory... That would be ok...

Heu guys i know this is old thread but had a quedtion on something that was mentioned above, how come the cam bearings 2 & 4 have 3 holes but only require 2 from what i can see on both i lined up 2 holes and the 3rd just looks to be going to nothing?

cam journals 2 and 4 feed the cylinder heads with oil...

-
Back