Question about electronic ignition kit

-

alg

Reaction score
in 2008 I replaced my 1971 dodge demon points ignition system with a Mopar Performance Electronic Ignition Kit. Part number P3690426. This worked well but has failed. There is no power coming from the distributor. I am told that I can replace the contents of this entire conversion kit with an HEI distributor and have a more efficient system and readily available replacement parts if needed. I am not a mechanic and don't know how to proceed. I do know that I have a dead car. Any advice and input is appreciated.

The signal on the pickup is very weak, only a volt or two AC when cranking. If the gap between the pickup and reluctor is more that 0.008", set with plastic or brass feeler gauge, the signal will be too weak. An Ohm meter can check continuity of pickup coil, it is typically 350 to 400 Ohms. The double bullet style connector can get dirty or loose, and is a problem too. I would check that stuff first. The pickup signal increases with RPM, so once started they often work fine, then someday the signal degrades enough from loose gap, or connection, or break in winding due to vibration and heat cycles, and they fail.

I would suspect and try a different ECU first.
Who came to the conclusion the distributor doesn't 'provide power'?

I would suspect and try a different ECU first.
Who came to the conclusion the distributor doesn't 'provide power'?
There are a few tests to make prior to that. Check ground at ECM, power at coil +, when cranking and key in run. Also check if voltage is bouncing at coil -, when cranking, that is normal.

if all the dist needs is a new pick up that would be cheap and easy to replace.
I ordered an aftermarket and it wasn't correct. There is a dodge dealership in town whose parts guys are "old car" guys. They searched and did not find a compatible pick up. Do you know a source I could check? Thanks.

last time i got one i t was at napa.. told them what i wanted and they got it for me in an hour.

Or even Autozone has them, as I have gotten them there before.

Or even Autozone has them, as I have gotten them there before.

same here. I'll follow up with a PN if you want. I did have to go in and tweak it a bunch to get the tolerances perfect and uniform

same here. I'll follow up with a PN if you want. I did have to go in and tweak it a bunch to get the tolerances perfect and uniform
I have been unable to locate compatible pickup. I wanted to remove the one in the distributor so I can take it to autozone. I can't see how to remove it? That and a part number would be very welcome. Thanks.

I can't see it. Some have a pop rivet, drill it out and replace. Best to pull distributor, and upper plate to keep shavings out.
Have you read and tried posts #3 and #5, better to check, than fix what may not be broke..... Problem may be somewhere else.

-
Back