question about funerals?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
One of my Uncle's passed on Feb 22nd. He was a great man and loved by many. My only concern is that the Family arranged his funeral for Monday Feb24th? Is it just me or does this sound really, really fast. I couldn't even make it back to Ohio in time.

Seems pretty quick. Usually about a week or so is normal. I've seen up to two weeks depending on circumstances and how far away relatives are.
My condolences, on behalf of of your family's loss......

That's what I thought. I know there are a lot of people that probably did not make it there due to such short notice. I know sometimes people do things for a reason but, for the life of me I can't understand why they would do that.:wack:

It is usually in the third day, but with embalming a body can be held indefinitely. In fact, the local funeral home told me that they had to dig up a guy for a crime investigation that had died in 1974. The clothes were in bad shape, but otherwise he looked a lot like he did the day the buried him.

If the family chooses not to have the loved one embalmed (legal in some states) then the funeral has to be done sooner. I have some friends who don't believe in embalming.

Sorry to hear of you loss

As far as funerals go, they are expensive and many families are opting to reduce the cost by shortening the time the funeral home has the body. Kind of like a hotel they charge by the hour in some cases.

You can send a card to your family, they will understand not everyone can jump on a plane and be there. If they wanted all the family and friends to be able to come they would have delayed it.

But really it just cost more money. And their grieving is longer. Time for closure.

May he rest in peace

I remember it normally being the 3rd day when I was growing up but I guess it is what ever the family wants.

Always been that in several provinces I lived in.. my dad was a bit different because we had 2 funerals for him in several provinces..I didn't know so many people knew my dad...

A friend's dad passed last Sunday night (almost midnight). The visitation was Weds night and the funeral was Thursday. Three days seems to be about the norm. Sorry for your loss.

My grandfather has a direct burial plan already paid for. This means if he dues at noon he goes straight to the funeral home stuck In a casket then directly to the cemetery. Get buried in whatever he dies in. Not many people will make it to his funeral. Pretty cold I thought but it is what he wanted.

I can understand how you feel my mother passed away in october the family
called me sunday at 9 pm said she passed friday night and was being laid to rest monday at 8 am.
I live in Colorado they are in Michigan.
sometimes its the family sometimes its the persons wishes to be laid to rest fast.
Sorry for your loss.

Maybe when you call to give your condolences you can tactfully ask? Since you are family it wouldn't be poor manners to ask.

When my granddad passed, he had it set up to be buried right away. This was done 20 years before he passed. My dad put it off for a few days because grandpa had so many friends. It was incredible how many folks showed up, so that turned out to be a good thing. My uncle was killed in a car crash 3 days before thanksgiving. Dad had Jerry cremated and in an urn before thanksgiving.

my Brother-in-Law preached a triple funeral just yesterday. The man had been dead 8 yrs, his wife a few months and sister died Thursday. The man had planned to have his ashes spread at sea but changed his mine and wanted to buried with his sister. That was a first for me

Funerals are for the living.
Some older people have few friends left to attend.
It's a family decision. There's no right answer.
Without being in your family and knowing all the facts, my advice would be to defer to those that were closest to him.
Their grief and stamina weighs heaviest.
Don't let it bother you if you felt left out.
He was an uncle, not a father.

thanks everyone. I guess I was only thinking about how I felt and nothing more. I really wanted to show my respect to his son's by being there. Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain some things I was unaware of. I haven't been to a funeral in quite some time and did not realize the costs and issues with prolonging the services and burial. Thanks again:)

Our families are upset with us because we have it set up for immediate cremation and no service of any kind. We each have requests for dispersal of our ashes.If we go together it doesn't matter because neither will be around to care.

-
Back