Question about gear swap

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I was getting ready to press on the pinion bearing onto my replacement gear set (3.23) and noticed on the old set of gears (2.74) what appeared to be a thick washer below the pinion bearing. I pulled the bearing off of the 2.74 set and sure enough there was a thick washer probably about 1/8" thick, sorry didnt mesure it exactly.

I dont remember this washer being on other gear sets Ive done. So curious if I reuse this washer on the 3.23's or just press the bearing tight to the pinion gear?

There was also a sleeve that sat on top of the lower pinion bearing, then the shims for the upper bearing. I dont recall this sleeve on other sets I've seen either. Do I transfer that to the new pinion? If you need pics of these things I can get them and attach them.

I have always use the shims from the old gear set on the new. They are usually set up to correct for dimensions of the pumpkin.

I have always use the shims from the old gear set on the new. They are usually set up to correct for dimensions of the pumpkin.

Now there's some food for thought.
This makes a lot of sense, at least as a starting point.
I learn something new every day i spend on here......... :cheers:

Sorry 741 housing.

I figured out the longer sleeve is used as the seat for the upper bearing. I attached a pic of the large washer/shim for the lower bearing. Just sitting loose.

I guess Im use to working on 742 cases and those pinions are different.

View attachment Pinion.jpg

-
Back