Question About Heads

-

mey6t6

Reaction score
Can an old style head off of a slant 6 from the 60's be used on a newer slant six from the 80's? I'm swapping my 273 small block with a guy who owns a junkyard for a slant six and trannie. One of the slant six engines I get to choose from is out of a 1961 Belvedere and the other one is out of a small truck from the late 70's or early 80's (he said what it was but I forgot at the moment). The reason I'm considering the /6 from the truck is because it already has hydraulic lifters. Both engines run. I want to get my car to match the vin for showing, which is why I'd like to use the old style head.

You would have to swap the entire rocker assembly if an old head is put on a hydrolic cam engine. If it is a smog moder from the 80's you wont have the air injection port on the back of the head either. All slant six heads will bolt onto all engines but there are some differences. I have a 76 head on a 72 engine now and also had this head on a 70 block for a while.

As 70Valiant said you can swap any head to any block on a /6. Hydraulic lifters in a /6 gets it's oil thru the pushrods and rockers that is why you need the rockers and pushrods of the hydraulic block like 70Valiant says.

'81 was the first year for hydraulic lifters in a production /6 so if the short block is a '79 or '80 it will have solid lifters.

One tid bit if info. Since the blocks in hydraulic lifter motors are not special you can just take a solid motor and put a hydraulic cam and lifters in it as long as you use the hydraulic '81 up rockers and pushrods and change the rear cam bearing.

Aluminum block 225's were available in '61 thru mid '63, is that '61 Belvedere an aluminum /6?

Chuck

Why swap a 273 to a \6? You can get a lot more power from the 273 and pretty much the same fuel mileage.

The \6 I had in my Barracuda got 19-20 mpg around town and 22-23 mpg on the highway. With the same A833OD tranny and 3.55 gears the 360 which has double the power gets 17-18 around town and 21-22 on the hiway.

It sounds like his car is a factory /6 car and he wants it to have the original style motor for shows.

Chuck

One tid bit if info. Since the blocks in hydraulic lifter motors are not special you can just take a solid motor and put a hydraulic cam and lifters in it as long as you use the hydraulic '81 up rockers and pushrods and change the rear cam bearing.

Chuck

That is incorrect. The rear cam bearing is no different for the solid cam, or hydraulic cam. The extra oiling to the valve gear, is from a groove machined on the rear cam journal, on the hydro cam, not the bearing.

Charlie I'm in Dallas,Ga. just outside of Atlanta. We raced against each other at Atlanta a few years ago in the /6 class at the Mopar meet. I'm about 250 miles from Fla/Ga. boarder.

Charlie I'm in Dallas,Ga. just outside of Atlanta. We raced against each other at Atlanta a few years ago in the /6 class at the Mopar meet. I'm about 250 miles from Fla/Ga. boarder.

Little too far for me to travel, for "core" slant engines. Feels good when you are remembered. Any chance you will be at the Mopar Southern Nationals, at Valdosta, Memorial day weekend? There will be a slant six shootout. I will have at least one car there, hopefully two.

I doubt it as were running V-8's in the cars now. The one engine was the engine that we ran 7.40s with, and it has a #2 cylinder that has lost the ring seal. It's been balanced and square decked, and has a mopar 244 cam. It also has chrome moly pushrods and we would like to get $100.00 for this engine. The rest are cores and can be had very, very cheaply. You come and get them and they'er yours.

Why swap a 273 to a \6? You can get a lot more power from the 273 and pretty much the same fuel mileage.

The \6 I had in my Barracuda got 19-20 mpg around town and 22-23 mpg on the highway. With the same A833OD tranny and 3.55 gears the 360 which has double the power gets 17-18 around town and 21-22 on the hiway.

Don't mean to barge in and hyjack the thread, but thanks for telling us that. I was wondering if I could get mileage around that when I swap in a 360, but now you've answered that question! BTW I plan to use almost the same exact trans/gearing combo, except with Passon "Hemi" O/D trans gears (closer ratios, slightly lower O/D gear).

-
Back