Question about installing 68 trim on a 67 Cuda windshield

-

Dmopower

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, gals, I'm about to pull my rear glass on my 67 fastback. Having it done by a professional. When I get it out and clean will these clip screws self tap or will I have to predrill holes? Any advise on this would be great. Also. I read that the headliner on a 67 Barracuda requires the front and rear glass be removed. Is that true? and if so by changing to a 68 style rubber and trim will I still need to remove the glass to install, change the headliner?

Thanks everyone.

67s have no holes, so you have to drill some. The screws do self tap once you have holes.

I don't know of if you HAVE to remove the windshield and rear window to install a headliner in a 67 Barracuda, but the upholstery shop that did mine insisted I remove them. I wanted to anyway since I was converting to 68-up rubber and stainless trim.

67s have no holes, so you have to drill some. The screws do self tap once you have holes.

I don't know of if you HAVE to remove the windshield and rear window to install a headliner in a 67 Barracuda, but the upholstery shop that did mine insisted I remove them. I wanted to anyway since I was converting to 68-up rubber and stainless trim.
Thank you. Were you able to reuse the rubber seal?

Just did one and have a 68 here to copy hole spacing . The windshield will have to be removed. The measurements for the screws, Depth , Spacing I can get off of the car that is here if you need that. We used a spring center punch and drilled the holes small. We let the screws have something to bite. Windshield and rubber were removed on Todds car. I believe 3/32 drill bit . mThen used old srews to open them up. The Screws for final fastening should have sealer on the threads

100_0019 (2).JPG

100_0017.JPG

Seals/ gaskets are going to be different. 67=lockstrip 68-9 not. afaik
I got new 68 gasket seals. I'm asking if I have this installed tomorrow. When I have the glass removed to do the headliner will I need new front and rear gasket seals or will they be reusable in 6 months?

Just did one and have a 68 here to copy hole spacing . The windshield will have to be removed. The measurements for the screws, Depth , Spacing I can get off of the car that is here if you need that. We used a spring center punch and drilled the holes small. We let the screws have something to bite. Windshield and rubber were removed on Todds car. I believe 3/32 drill bit . mThen used old srews to open them up. The Screws for final fastening should have sealer on the threads

View attachment 1716135947

View attachment 1716135948
I'll def take any info you have to share. I don't have the hole measurements soo if you can get them from a 68 car...That would be awesome.

No, the 67 rubber seals have no provision for attaching stainless trim. I got the rear window rubber from a junked 68 Barracuda (back when you could still find them in regular junkyards). They were not reproduced then, may be now.

The windshield rubber is available new and is the same for all 68-72 Barracudas and Dart hardtops except for the Duster type bodies.

For whatever it's worth, I didn't have a pattern to go by when drilling holes for the clips. I just put them in every so many inches apart. Been in there for over 30 years now, no problem.

No, the 67 rubber seals have no provision for attaching stainless trim. I got the rear window rubber from a junked 68 Barracuda (back when you could still find them in regular junkyards). They were not reproduced then, may be now.

The windshield rubber is available new and is the same for all 68-72 Barracudas and Dart hardtops except for the Duster type bodies.
You know, I misspoke a bit saying the 67 seals don't have provision for attaching stainless trim. Of course, the stainless trim doesn't "attach" to the rubber, it attaches to the clips. Be more accurate to say that the 67 seals, with their groove for the plastic 67 trim to snap into, are just shaped wrong for the later stainless trim to properly fit against.

To convert your '67- there is a "map" showing hole spacing for front and rear glass including the number of clips needed, two sizes of clips on front. It is best to pre-drill the holes. A new weatherstrip will fit better, be easier to install and be better able to hold the headliner. The problem with a used W/S will be it's deformed corners. Make sure you have the correct number and type of clips before you start. Catalogue recommendations are not always correct.

To convert your '67- there is a "map" showing hole spacing for front and rear glass including the number of clips needed, two sizes of clips on front. It is best to pre-drill the holes. A new weatherstrip will fit better, be easier to install and be better able to hold the headliner. The problem with a used W/S will be it's deformed corners. Make sure you have the correct number and type of clips before you start. Catalogue recommendations are not always correct.
Thank you. What I'm asking is if I put a new 68 style rubber on it tomorrow will I be able to reuse it in 6 months when I do my headliner. I saw another guy used one from a salvage yard so that kind of answers my question. I'm doing the back tomorrow and the front in a month. I bought the rubber on ebay and the clips from Herbs restorations. I'll go fit the rubber now.

My front SS trim came from AMD and some of the included clips were wrong. I think all of the retailers dont have a clue which clips are correct.

Does the inside back sides have to come out to do this glass job? Anyone.

You can't, because the 68 trim takes a different seal. You could reuse the seal if you were going to continue using the 67 trim (assuming you could remove the seal intact — not a given).

Does the metal sides in the rear of the car with the chrome trim through it have to be removed to install this glass? My glass guy wants it removed and I'm not sure what's involved. Does the rear seat need removed first?

Thank you. What I'm asking is if I put a new 68 style rubber on it tomorrow will I be able to reuse it in 6 months when I do my headliner. I saw another guy used one from a salvage yard so that kind of answers my question. I'm doing the back tomorrow and the front in a month. I bought the rubber on ebay and the clips from Herbs restorations. I'll go fit the rubber now.
What you are saying is you want to install the window now, then later remove it to do the headliner then reinstall the window again?
I'd say yes if you are careful in removing the window. There is a risk of damage to the glass and the rubber.

Why not just get the headline done before you install the windows?

Alan

What you are saying is you want to install the window now, then later remove it to do the headliner then reinstall the window again?
I'd say yes if you are careful in removing the window. There is a risk of damage to the glass and the rubber.

Why not just get the headline done before you install the windows?

Alan
I'm trying but I need to address the glass and trim. My body guy is welding a couple small holes up now. The headliner is ordered but the insulation is in stock and the HL isn't. With a guaranteed delivery date of you'll get it when it shows up. ;)

I'm trying but I need to address the glass and trim. My body guy is welding a couple small holes up now. The headliner is ordered but the insulation is in stock and the HL isn't. With a guaranteed delivery date of you'll get it when it shows up. ;)
I did remove the factory 67 Fastback windows and saved both the glass and the weatherstrip, at the time you could not get new 67 weatherstrip.
You should be able to do this with new gaskets, the use of sealant may make it more difficult.

Alan

I did remove the factory 67 Fastback windows and saved both the glass and the weatherstrip, at the time you could not get new 67 weatherstrip.
You should be able to do this with new gaskets, the use of sealant may make it more difficult.

Alan
Thanks, I'm not going to use any sealant as I will be pulling them in a year or 2 to strip the entire car and repaint it. I'll use sealer then. This car is my daily driver, that's why I'm trying to not have it down for much time.

-
Back