Question about installing core support stiffener?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As you can see from the photo, the previous owner of my Dart hacked up my core support to put a larger radiator in the car. I've bought the core support stiffener from US Cartool and have a question about installing it. I would like to remove my front bumper to make installation a little easier. I'm afraid that since the structural integrity of the core support has been compromised, if I take off the bumper to weld the support in things might shift and my bumper brackets won't line up when I go to reinstall it. What do you all think? Am I just over thinking things as usual?

60C4FBDA-BFD8-4157-97E9-6EE0688E5DC4_zpsyybg8ggt.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but if it concerns you, you could tack a piece of angle iron across the frame rails inside (behind) the core support before you pull the bumper. Get the support stiffener in and then remove the angle, grind the weld down and done.

Just a thought.

I tend to over think things too. But, it's better safe than sorry.

if your frame rails shifts, attaching a core support, you have other issues. That k frame is solid -- your only talking about 18" of frame rail.

cut a 2x4 to slight press fit between the rails-- no welding-- or get fancy with some all thread & a turn buckle type fitting-- allows you to keep pressure on the rails ,Lawrence

Seems like for the bumper mounts to shift, the front subframes would have to shift. If you have some support under the subframe to keep steady force on them, I would not think that you would have any issues. I would expect the K-frame will keep things stabilized sideways.

You all are right, I was over thinking the whole situation. The front frame rails are held by the K member, they aren't going anywhere! Thanks to all.

brian I just replaced my lower core support. It will not move your good to go

-
Back