Question about installing master cylinder on 68 dart

-

1968 Dart 270

Reaction score
Hi,The master cylinder on the dark I was just bought started leaking. I picked up a new one yesterday and had a question before putting it on. On the back there’s a metal retainer held on with a bolt. I read the instructions that came with it and it doesn’t say if I remove that or leave it in. I’ve also got a boot and small rubber ring. It doesn’t show where that goes either. Any help I’d appreciated as I’d like to get this together before the high winds show up.

FDC4B16A-1FC4-4A12-A95E-C89062D7BCB7.jpeg

420A3F8A-B2A4-4BF3-A17F-5D67A2C9AD47.jpeg

Ok,thanks. The old one didn’t have that and when I took it off the entire piston part came out and I had to pull it off the pushrod. So where does the little rubber ring go? And does the boot just push into the slot around the piston on the back of the master?

the lil ring goes on the tip of the rod that goes in master the boot can be pushed on

The rubber "keeper" fits around the pushrod to keep it from coming out of the master cylinder. Your old pushrod should have one.

The pushrod can be a pain to get out. The last one I did, I loosened the master cylinder at the firewall and put a spacer in between the firewall and the master cylinder. Then I yanked the brake pedal towards the seat to dislodge the keeper.

FYI..

The bellows would be normally attached to a metal retainer.

There is also a plastic one for master cylinders that have an internal snap ring to keep the piston in the bore.

The round ring with the hole in the center is the keeper for the push rod. I believe it is supposed to go into the piston before the push rod goes in, but I'm not 100 % sure about that.

If you don't use the bellows leave the keeper on the MC the way it came, but I think it is only intended to be a shipping part.

If that keeper comes loose and rotated, the piston could come out and you would have brake fluid all over your floor and you would loose your brakes.

Screenshot_20230121-124639.png

Screenshot_20230121-125323.png

Watch this and decide if you want to do it right or not.

Thanks. Unfortunately my old master cylinder did not have the keeper. I don’t know what prevented the piston from coming out. Maybe just the pressure of the throttlThanks. Unfortunately my old master cylinder did not have the keeper. I don’t know what prevented the piston from coming out. Maybe just the pressure of the brake pedal rod? Anyway I left that retainer on and have installed the new master and the brakes work fine

image.jpg

While I was under there I looked at the fuel sender seal. The sender is one of those Chinese ones. It’s brand new. Someone stuck a length of wire under the rubber hose going from the metal tube from the sender and under the other end of the rubber hose. I took that out and tightened it down. It seems that the hose was leaking

06AAFB3A-C4E7-447B-978A-FFBE4A9F062B.jpeg

FYI..

The bellows would be normally attached to a metal retainer.

There is also a plastic one for master cylinders that have an internal snap ring to keep the piston in the bore.

The round ring with the hole in the center is the keeper for the push rod. I believe it is supposed to go into the piston before the push rod goes in, but I'm not 100 % sure about that.

If you don't use the bellows leave the keeper on the MC the way it came, but I think it is only intended to be a shipping part.

If that keeper comes loose and rotated, the piston could come out and you would have brake fluid all over your floor and you would loose your brakes.

View attachment 1716037833

View attachment 1716037834

Watch this and decide if you want to do it right or not.

I’m going to order the part,thanks for letting me know something was missing. it wasn’t on the old master I just took off. There wasn’t even a dust boot. Funny that they wouldn’t just include that piece in with the new master cylinder.
I’ve seen that video before. Those people are idiots,the could have killed someone screwing around like that. You’re right. Brakes are the most important thing. Especially if you’re hopping up a car like that.

Yes, the fuel sender body must be grounded for your fuel gage to work right. Many people use a wire with screw clamps like that, but strange if they stuck the strands between hose and tube.

I triple that those guys in the video are fools. How far did he drive the newly mod'ed car without checking the brakes? He does downshift, but doesn't appear to help. No e-brake? Why is he racing up to a red light? Just lap belts? I put newish seats in my cars just to get a shoulder belt since feel naked without one, and my cars even have the later foam-top dashboards.

-
Back