Question about moly rings

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Ok so I got some of the parts for my 5.9 refresh, including the moly piston rings from summit.

Opened the piston ring box, and the upper and lower compression rings look different.

One set is shiny on the edge and has a small M printed on one side.(I assume for moly)
The other set look like a plain cast iron ring.
All the instructions tell me is " some upper and lower rings are different and are not interchangeable,"
And then they give you two rings that look different, and don't tell you which goes on the upper grove and which goes on the lower.

Any help here?

IMG_20170316_113047825.jpg

IMG_20170316_113108259.jpg

The upper ring is moly coated.
The second ring is a cast iron ring.
All normal.

Edit: the shiny moly ring goes in the top groove. If it has a bevel on the inside, that bevel goes up.

The cast ring is for the second groove.

I install the expander of the oil ring first, then the top and bottom rails. Then I install the second ring and the the top ring.

Make sure and verify end gaps.

there also should be a dot or some mark that shows that the ring faces up on the piston

The top ring is the compression ring
the second ring is the oil scrapper
and of course the oil ring Bottom

You'll find a ring expander (installation) tool to be useful. Keep the 2 top rings as flat as you can while installing and avoid excess twisting. The oil ring rails can be 'spiraled' into place if you are careful to not scratch the piston face. Your pix of the top ring (with the 'M') shows the bevel on the inner edge mentioned in post 2 for orientation'; that bevel imparts something called 'ring twist' which is important in ring operation and has to be the right side up or down.

-
Back