Question about quench

-
Are you sure you don't want to do a compression calculation before
You order the gaskets. Me thinks major compression there, like 14:1.

Remember this started out as and will be stock chamber heads (no cutting) and chamber and sparkplug relief work.

Honestly I didn’t have a number in mind as I run alcohol. I probably wouldn’t have even ran the numbers but a couple of guys were curious in my 408 engine post. I believe I will be truly testing the strength of a stock block with this compression and 325cfm heads.
I have a .100 flat dome on my Ross Pistons .005 out of the hole,.040 Cometic and a 67 cc chamber and mine came out to 12.7:1(cast iron head w2). You got more dome than that and a smaller chamber.

I’ll finally be putting my alcohol to use on some compression. My 408 combo that went 9.74 had pistons in the hole, flat top pistons, and 340 open chamber Edelbrock heads.

B743B14C-067F-48A6-A993-DC98FE06229F.jpeg
This will be my first performance ring pack since I build my old .030 over 440 cubic inch engine with a bunch of well used parts that ran 8.80’s in my Daytona.

C16F9F38-33DC-4DCB-A2B6-A9BAB74FB04A.jpeg
That was a nice car!!

Thanks. I ended up going low 8.40’s with some issues I was working on when an oil line broke putting my on my roof in 2010. Best handling car I’ve ever driven, till I hit oil. My son helped design this wrap

I’ll finally be putting my alcohol to use on some compression. My 408 combo that went 9.74 had pistons in the hole, flat top pistons, and 340 open chamber Edelbrock heads.
Did you do a piston to head clearance measurement before ordering the gaskets. Something else to watch with that big dome.

It seems gas ports behind the rings is today's hot ticket. The gas ports on the piston top tend to plug up with carbon when used on the street... that's what I'm told.

My new RaceTecs aren't gas ported... Guess I was too cheap to order them... the pistons and rings were already too darn ecpensive!

Did you do a piston to head clearance measurement before ordering the gaskets. Something else to watch with that big dome.

The only testing I did that way was just for the heck of it I set one of my stock Speedmaster heads on without a head gasket and I had a clearance issue. With my semi finished Edelbrock chamber I did not have an issue

The only testing I did that way was just for the heck of it I set one of my stock Speedmaster heads on without a head gasket and I had a clearance issue. With my semi finished Edelbrock chamber I did not have an issue
What I do is the same as you, except I will rotate the piston to tdc, then carefully put an indicator on the rod or rod bolt, then push the piston up by hand till it makes contact with some part of the head, then record the reading. In the past with the .040 fel pro I have had a clearance issue and had to slightly machine the domes down for clearance. This would easily be rectified with a slight change in head gasket. Having said that, the piston manufacturers seem to have gotten a lot better in regards to these kinds of problems.

Sorry to jump in on your post Pittsburghracer
But I have the same question? I have a stock bore 2000 360 magnum. KB107 flat top pistons at zero deck, Trickflow 60cc heads. Compression should be around 12.1 Fuel will be either 93 pump gas mixed with 110 race gas or straight 110 race gas, until I can get the fuel system switched over to E85. When this engine had the EQ heads on it. My friend used to race it on 91 pump gas. I just don't know if I would race it on 93 pump gas? Opps hot off track. I was thinking about useing Felpro 1008 head gaskets, unless there is a better gasket I should use.but trickflows head description list the 1008 head gasket.thanks mopar65

Sorry to jump in on your post Pittsburghracer
But I have the same question? I have a stock bore 2000 360 magnum. KB107 flat top pistons at zero deck, Trickflow 60cc heads. Compression should be around 12.1 Fuel will be either 93 pump gas mixed with 110 race gas or straight 110 race gas, until I can get the fuel system switched over to E85. When this engine had the EQ heads on it. My friend used to race it on 91 pump gas. I just don't know if I would race it on 93 pump gas? Opps hot off track. I was thinking about useing Felpro 1008 head gaskets, unless there is a better gasket I should use.but trickflows head description list the 1008 head gasket.thanks mopar65
Tony Santos had gasket trouble at high 11.7 compression with the fel pro gasket. If you truly re 12:1 I would go to the Cometic gasket.

I've run as low as .028 but prefer. 035 quench distance.
As for MLS gaskets I've run as thick as .080
Depending on the bottom end and rpm..you can run it tight
I recently put a 340 together, and the piston came out of the hole .038 with a 62cc head.
So the .038 felpros were a no go.
Ordered .062 Cometics, so it would end up with .024 quench and the engine runs great.
I had a 440 that the piston was down in the hole a ton, so it had a bean field of quench, that engine detonated something terrible, even though the compression was low. Inefficient combustion I attributed it to.
That’s all I got on quench I’m getting a drink

It seems gas ports behind the rings is today's hot ticket. The gas ports on the piston top tend to plug up with carbon when used on the street... that's what I'm told.

My new RaceTecs aren't gas ported... Guess I was too cheap to order them... the pistons and rings were already too darn ecpensive!

I dont know how thick they are , or how well they work , but they have gas ported rings now !

Tony Santos had gasket trouble at high 11.7 compression with the fel pro gasket. If you truly re 12:1 I would go to the Cometic gasket.
I am not against useing a cosmetic gasket. But I don't know if my engine deck surface is smooth enough for one. Ok Dumb question how do you measure deck Finish? The RA number.

-
Back