Question about voltage limiter

-
Ok. The gas gauge was taken out of the cluster when I bent the point arm that moves closed. Tom from RTE just sent me a response and said the led on their limiter should pulse like a heartbeat indicating it's working. If the led light is out, then there is a problem. The alternator gauge is indicating charge when the car is running. The gas gauge needle moved to 1/4 tank.........I think I have more gas in the tank than a 1/4. I think it's my sending unit in the gas tank. When I drive the car frequently the gas gauge needle starts to work pretty nice. Indicating the movement of gas in the gas tank is helping mover the sending unit arm.

OK. Maybe place a piece of tape over that LED? In my mind, standing green is good, flashing red is something wrong. They must have had security system in mind ( that's typically a flashing red ). Dang if I know. Anyway...
There's a ground jumper on the fuel line at the sender. It can cause gauge changes as it moves with vehicle vibrations. That ground path is through the fuel line and the now rusty clips attaching it to the chassis. There could have been a actual wire attached directly to the frame but it was meant to serve 10 years, not 50+.
If the fault is in fact the sender, best to have original restored. Aftermarket replacement senders are wrong. Good luck with it.

RTE instructions say it isn't needed but use it anyhow( possibly because of a tight fit it did seem a bit loose)
After installing the new limiter it seems to be running 25% low I let it run about 20 minutes and the temp barely moved going to fill the tank tomorrow and see what the gas gauge reads, if it's still off I'll just go back in and check all the wiring and grounds..... Again. The wiring is a mess on this car, I think I'll eventually have to break down and get a new harness, under hood isn't much better

Hey Steve 225, what is the process on removing the instrument cluster? I want to clean mine up and install the IVR4!

-
Back