question concerning a 340 buildup?

-

Joller

Reaction score
:rock: Hello to everybody, I am new here, I am from Finland and I am glad I found this website. :mrgreen: I have a 1967 Dodge Dart GT and I am building a new engine for it and I would need some advice concerning the intake manifold..
The car has 727 trans with cheetah manualvalvebody and the next converter is going to be one made by ultimate and it has a stallspeed of ~4000rpm, the rear is a 8 3/4. The engine is a 1970 340, it has forged pistons (TRW), original forged crank, original polished connecting rods and the whole package is well balanced by a machine shop, it has clevite bearings, speed pro plasma moly piston rings, melling high volume oil pump, Holley 110gph mechanical fuel pump, the top will be fully ported edelbrock "performer rpm 340" heads with 1.5 ratio roller rockers, 1 3/4 long tube headers, the compression ratio will be like 11 to 1, for now the camshaft will be a mopar purple series cam 292/292 0.508/0.508 and duration @ 0.050 is 248/248, the cam will be updated to a mechanical flat tappet cam (possibly even mechanical roller) during winter. Now I am having trouble choosing the intake.. I would like to get all the power I can out of the engine, but I dont know what intake to use, I would have one Weaind dual carb Tunnel Ram lying around, so I thought of maybe using that and a couple of small carters or eddys, but I have no experience about tunnel rams aand how they perform? I was allso concidering the edelbrock victor 340, the Mopar M1, Holley strip Dominator...and the list goes on...:colors: So I would need help with the intake issue and perhaps oppinions from more experienced people about the engine combo, how does it seem, will it work or will I hate it, and what kind of power can that kind of engine produce? :glasses8:

I bet that could take an M1 with a 1050 Dominator.

Oh deer..:colors: And I was thinking about a mighty demon 650-750dp at the most...:glasses8:

Yeah. With "fully ported" Eddy heads. That beeotch is gonna need some serious flow. It'll suck down a 1050 comin and goin.

How about the tunnel ram that I have? how would it work with that and two maybe 500cfm or 600cfm carter/edelbrock carbs? Has anyone tried this kind of combination? what kind of numbers could I expect from this engine?

How about the tunnel ram that I have? how would it work with that and two maybe 500cfm or 600cfm carter/edelbrock carbs? Has anyone tried this kind of combination? what kind of numbers could I expect from this engine?

660 center squirters. But yeah. That'd work. This ain't a chebbie we're talkin about here.

I would have one Weaind dual carb Tunnel Ram lying around, so I thought of maybe using that and a couple of small carters or eddys, but I have no experience about tunnel rams aand how they perform? I was allso concidering the edelbrock victor 340, the Mopar M1, Holley strip Dominator
Your current set up was my last set up. It can use a 750 - 800 cfm carb as it is now.
Once you port those heads, another 50 cfm would be good. (800 - 850 cfm)

Opinions, in order of the intakes listed, tunnel ram last;

Edelbrock's Victor 340; Excellent hi rpm intake, great sustained running intake for the higher rpm engine. Circle track guys love this intake.

Mopar M1; An excellent street strip/light race intake. This intake replaced the Holley Strip Dominator below with a few more HP and lbs. of torque. The listed RPM range is to 6500, but it'll carry on past it some. This is a very popularintake among high performing cars and bracket racers.

When on top of your combo listed above, they make more than 400 HP.

Holley strip Dominator; a heck of an effort from Holley in the early days of making HP/race parts. This intake is very capable and has a rpm rating to 7,000 rpm. It was so nice, MoPar did a basic copy of it and then went to work for a while trying to find a few HP within it.

Back in the day, this intake was "The bad mammaba jamba" to have on your street machine. If you had one on top, you ment bizness.

The Tunnel ram is a interesting item. It should be used for 1 of 2 things. Ethier show, like a "Hey, check me out." or flat out racing, going for the max effort.

I myself do not know how this intake performs. I have not owned one. I have only seen one on a MoPar before, as in right before my eyes. (Magazines do not count)

Right now, I'm saving money for a members MoPar dualquad intake. It's simplya race part.

Talk to 3408BBL. He drives a tunnel rammed small block everyday. Everyday. Everyday. They work well on the street of you know what you're doin.

Talk to 3408BBL. He drives a tunnel rammed small block everyday. Everyday. Everyday. They work well on the street of you know what you're doin.

Exactly! He also runs a EFI system on top now. Real nice.

If youre going to tunnel ram it and drive it on the street it is crucial to get the right carbs and have them tuned correctly. I have seen everything from 2 500 cfm holley 2 barrels to 2 1150 dominators. The most sucessful one's I have seen on the street were small cfm Edelbrocks (500 each) that were identical. I know it sounds crazy but I have been entertaining the notion of A Madman dual quad intake with removable top with 2 thermoquads. I know that even with the smallest TQ's i'm still at 1500 cfm total but there is a smalll tang on the TQ's secondary air flap that limits the amount of travel and they could be set up to not open up fully and stop at 400-500 of flow each. I also know that a well set up single four barrel on a single carb intake will probably outperform the proposed set up but I want it more for eye candy rather than performance. Also they are hard to find but I think Carter made an AFB that was only 400 cfm .

Okay, Ill ask him for info on how he set up his own tunnel ram and how well it works.. Thanks everybody for the info concernig the different intakes. I think I will use the Victor intake if I will use a single carb setup, since I have been looking for different intakes and for the moment the victor is the onlyone that can be found on a short notice, our part dealers dont have many single plane intakes avaivable for mopars and that victor seems like a good choice.. But I do have to say that tunnel ram is quite an interesting intake and I would like to try how it works, but then again it will be quite an expensive test if it doesnt work... How would you guys expect this kind of combo to perform at the 1/4 mile?

Everything is in the tuning. And not justthe engine.

I like a tunnel ram set up, but it boils down to whatever makes you tick and smile. Expensive?Maybe, but at least you can say, "Been there done that" not to mention, you can allways go back and tinker around with it.

Well the car is not purpose built for drag racing, so the first issue I expect it to have is with traction..:colors: But I am concidering of installing caltracks to the rear suspension and possibly later on allso the calvert racing monoleafs with some other modifications to the suspension and chassis.. But mostly I am interested in knowing what could be quite easily achieved with this engine and transmission and the car, if I get the package working well..

tunnel ram would work well here.my set up is much milder that yours and it runs well.i can honestly say that the eddy street ram currently run on my 340 makes more power than any other intake ive run on it...and ive run a few lol.a close second was the eddy air-gap which seemed to have a little more torque in the lower rpms.joller,id recommend and edelbrock street tunnel ram if you can find one,the weiand isnt a bad piece either.for carbs id go with 600 cfm vs holleys (they are cheap and common) and be prepared for some tuning.also these intakes are very temperature sensative that seems to be the biggest down side.however you can find a good middle ground.run as much initial timing as you can get away with.and for the power valve,it seems to run best(street driving)2" below the lowest vac reading.

:downtown: I think I will go with the tunnel ram, allthough I think I am going to hide it under a scoop, and if anyone asks, Ill tell them that the scoop is only for show purposes and the engine is actually only a 150hp 360cid smog engine with loud pipes and nothing more..:burnout: How about the carb linkages and fuel lines for the tunnel ram, do I have to fabricate my own or are there ready sets out there that are within reasonable price range?

Just know if you do decide to go tunnel ram, it's not a bolt on and go deal. There's gonna be tuning required. We're not sayin it's easy, we're sayin it can work and work very well with the right amount of tuning and patience. It takes some work.

I understand, it will take a lot of learning and tuning, but if I dont try it I am most likely going to regret it. And I am looking forward of learning about that particular intake system and tuning it and seeing how it works. And if it doesnt work it is like rumblefish said attleast I can say "been there done that". Allthough I am a bit worried about overshooting with the carbs since to me 1000-1200cfm on a mild small block sounds like chasing a cat with an M1 Abrams..:yawinkle: Dont get me wrong I trust that you all know what you are talking about.

I have allso started to think about the possibility of taking the engine to a engine dyno for the breaking in procedure and tuning, that would save a lot of time when the basic settings could be set at the engine dyno, then I would possibly be able to get it working well with only some fine adjustments when the engine is back in the car.(if Im lucky)

I understand, it will take a lot of learning and tuning, but if I dont try it I am most likely going to regret it. And I am looking forward of learning about that particular intake system and tuning it and seeing how it works. And if it doesnt work it is like rumblefish said attleast I can say "been there done that". Allthough I am a bit worried about overshooting with the carbs since to me 1000-1200cfm on a mild small block sounds like chasing a cat with an M1 Abrams..:yawinkle: Dont get me wrong I trust that you all know what you are talking about.
notice i said vac secondary holleys,you can adjust the secondaries so the engine only draws as much as it needs.if you can tune a single carb set up well,a dual carb set up is not that much more difficult.for linkage i used a universal t-ram linkage to link the carbs and combined it with a lokar throttle cable/bracket run to the front carb.

I have got the 340 running and working and I wanted to say thanks to everybody for the help and advice. The engine is now working with the Tunnel ram and two 600cfm Carter carbs and it is working pretty well, only needs minor adjustments on idle mixture. I have changed the gear at 7000rpm, but the engine seems it would be able to pull past that point easily. It revs up easily and it pulls pretty strong, I havent been able to test it properly for quarter mile times, since the car is having severe traction problems.:burnout: But I will try to get those solved before next summer.. (anybody know of a manufacturer that makes wide tires for 14 inch wheels? or perhaps slicks)

-
Back