Question for 904 gurus

-

dart_68

Reaction score
Got what I hope is a simple question.

My 904 seems to have a too high shift point even at part throttle. I'm using Lokar throttle and kickdown cables and I noticed that when the carb is at idle the kickdown cable does not allow the lever (on the trans) to go far enough to release all the tension. In other words it feels like there is still a bit of pressure on the kickdown valve even at idle.

Would this cause the trans to shift at a higher RPM?

Thanks!

Ours have no tension at idle.
You may have to modify linkage. This affects part throttle
shifts by position of kickdown linkage
Full throttle shifts are regulated by Govenor Weights
in the transmission as full throttle should be wide open
on kickdown linkage as well if adjusted right.

When I ran the lokar on a 318/904 it was not looser. It was actually making sure the ratio was correct. I was running aftermarket carb and the hole given for the trans stud was too low. I had to drill a new hole higher to match the kick down lever ratio. The lever center shaft to hole was (I’m trying to remember exact so please if I’m off just use as a reference only) 1.5” and my hole on my carb was 1” off the throttle shaft. I had to move it up 1/2” to work and it worked correctly.
Hope this helps.
Joe

Adjust it so the kd arm is all the way back when carb is wide open. If it shifts too early, you need a shorter kd arm on the trans. If it shifts too late you need a longer kd arm. Or refer to post #4.

When I ran the lokar on a 318/904 it was not looser. It was actually making sure the ratio was correct. I was running aftermarket carb and the hole given for the trans stud was too low. I had to drill a new hole higher to match the kick down lever ratio. The lever center shaft to hole was (I’m trying to remember exact so please if I’m off just use as a reference only) 1.5” and my hole on my carb was 1” off the throttle shaft. I had to move it up 1/2” to work and it worked correctly.
Hope this helps.
Joe
This is the most common overlooked part of adjusting what most people call a kick down but on a Mopar it's the pressure valve adjustment...
Hitting the right distance from the fulcrum to match the throttle position...
It's not always just tightening or loosening the linkage or cable it's matching the correct fulcrum position...

here is a picture of the play in mine. i pulled the slack out just to show it. mine has great shift points.

the kd leaver plays in to it too but id adjust the cable first and see what happens. the lokar set up likes the short abody leaver..

IMG_20220820_110912.jpg

IMG_20220820_110914.jpg

Last edited:
Most carbs don't have a bolt on arm, and they're kinda hard to drill. The arm on the trans is easier to modify cuz it just unbolts.

-
Back