Question for Shipping a Car from Canada

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I’m thinking of buying a car that’s in Quebec Canada. Does anyone have experience with having one shipped, or transporting one across yourself? At this point, that’s one of the main deciding factors on whether or not I get the car. I’ve shipped parts there & had parts shipped from there a few times, & had some delays due to customs. I don’t want to have issues getting a car across. Thank you

I did it, it’s not a problem. I drove up through VT just into Quebec with an empty trailer and came back with the car.

There were some forms I thought I was supposed to have and actually had them ready but when I came back across the border guards didn’t even ask for them. I don’t know what exactly they were doing while I was waiting at the border crossing station but I was not there long. My car was originally a US car though so that may have helped?

There are vehicle import services out there but unless you have a really unique situation you probably don’t need them.

I’ll be having it shipped, not bringing it over myself. I went up to Nick’s garage & checked it out this weekend. Actually looking for info on the whole purchase and shipping process. He was saying they don’t just sign the title over there like we do here in the US

I can't help you but, I just wanna say this;
Yeah the government has to know everything about everything, just for the sake of who knows why, unless it's just to keep some otherwise unemployable person busy with paperwork.

It's like I can sell my car to my neighbor. But if I don't supply my neighbor with a T.O.D. (Transfer of Ownership Document), he cannot register or insure it. ....... until he applys, pays for, and receives an itty-bitty piece of paper from the government, which authorizes him to.
Now, If I inherit a car from my Dead Father, we have a problem. The TOD may be in the car, but it's no good without a signature. ....... even tho dear old Pops is dead. If I sign it, even as executor of the estate, and the government finds out about it, I'm in deep doggie doo-doo. So you gotta jump thru the hoops. Lesson learned, I now always register any vehicle in my possession in TWO names, jointly with my wife, AND if I go on a trip, I sign the daymn TOD before I leave..... you know just in case we both die out on the road.
Sure anybody can pencil in their name as the transferee, but ask me if I care, lol, cuz I'll be dead! And the daymn government can't make any coin off my dead body! Well in this case anyway.
Good luck in your quest.

Depending on the year and where the car was built, it may not be able to be exported. Challengers for example were built in Canada. I’m not 100% sure on the year, but I do think my 71 will never be leaving Canada due to truedolts new law. They are now considered Canadian history. I’m not dead sure about this being fully in effect, but I heard something about it a while ago.

Here is a little info. It may not pertain to you at all.

Assessment Tool – Exporting Antique Vehicles - Canada.ca

Last edited:
Depending on the year and where the car was built, it may not be able to be exported. Challengers for example were built in Canada. I’m not 100% sure on the year, but I do think my 71 will never be leaving Canada due to truedolts new law. They are now considered Canadian history. I’m not dead sure about this being fully in effect, but I heard something about it a while ago.

Here is a little info. It may not pertain to you at all.

Assessment Tool – Exporting Antique Vehicles - Canada.ca
It’s a 70 Cuda originally from the US

Please have it scrutinized !
I'm on the West Coast, and I can always tell an East Coast car, yes and Quebec.
They use tons of salt, lotsa salt .

Please have it scrutinized !
I'm on the West Coast, and I can always tell an East Coast car, yes and Quebec.
They use tons of salt, lotsa salt .
I went and inspected it personally. Very solid, not a spec of rust. I ended up passing on it and buying one about an hour away.

-
Back