Question of moment!

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
My slant died. It would seem the oil pump gear sheared, the rest is history.
Found a new slant 6, but before it goes into the Duster, it's getting a good going thru.
New gaskets, pumps, ect...
my question is this,
How the heck does the crank damper (harmonic damper) come off?
I was looking for bolt in the center, and no such a thing. My mopar manual talks about a miller special tool.
I know you guys didn't go out and buy a special tool for this, so whats the trick?
I'm sure it's obvious as hell, but I'm missing it.

It has some tapped holes in in in the front. You simply use a standard harmonic balancer puller to remove it. You may need to scrape some grease and dirt off to reveal the holes, but they are there.

That big bolt in the middle is 1 1/4". Once it is removed you can use a puller in a couple of the pulley bolt holes or you can remove the washer on the big bolt, screw it back in a little and use a steel bar or tube with the correct bolt spacing and use it as a puller across the bolt by tightening the two bolts opposite each other alternately a little at a time.

vbpgimage.php

There is no bolt!
Just a lot of emptiness! I wanted to turn the engine over with a wrench, but I have a void where I think a bolt should be.
Not sure if it's threaded in the crank or what.
I'll get back to it wed night.

There is no bolt!
Just a lot of emptiness! I wanted to turn the engine over with a wrench, but I have a void where I think a bolt should be.
Not sure if it's threaded in the crank or what.
I'll get back to it wed night.

What do you not understand what was said above? There is no crank bolt as you know, but there is a threaded hole there for one.
The damper is NOT SCREWED on!! It is a press fit. Just go to O'Reilly's or someplace like that and use their "borrow a tool" program and get a Damper/gear puller, your not working on a rocket.

What do you not understand what was said above? There is no crank bolt as you know, but there is a threaded hole there for one.
The damper is NOT SCREWED on!! It is a press fit. Just go to O'Reilly's or someplace like that and use their "borrow a tool" program and get a Damper/gear puller, your not working on a rocket.

Hey Junior,
I can can read just fine. I wrote that there was no bolt. I asked a question, was the hole in the crank threaded?
My crank is packed with 43 years of road grime and crap. I was unsure if it was.
The engine is sitting in a shop 30 miles away, so its not like I'm walking outback and taking a look at it. I'm not borrowing anything, I have tools.
So, unless you have something positive to contribute, I would invite you to go sit on a rocket.:tool:

It may or may not have a bolt. It is a press fit and the bolt is just used to press the pulley onto the crank. Once that is done, it is no longer needed and apparently a lot of slants left the factory without them. What you need to do to remove it is get a puller and there should be a few smaller holes outside the crank to bolt the puller into.

Hey Junior,
I asked a question, was the hole in the crank threaded?
My crank is packed with 43 years of road grime and crap. I was unsure if it was.

I had the same issue. Yes there is a female thread in the crank snout. Typically they come from the factory without a center bolt installed.

It is 3/4"16 UNF.

Mine (1964) was packed with so much gunk it was not obvious until I started poking around. There are tapped holes in the face of the damper. Yes, a common damper removal tool will do the job as it is a press fit on the crank.

I think the bolt is the same as for a 426 Hemi. Indeed, several crank parts interchange (seals, ...). If you have an earlier slant (pre ~1978 ), you even have spark plug tubes like a Hemi. So when the crackers at the stoplight ask "that thing got a Hemi?", just tell them "yeh, the 6 cyl version".

gunbunny, you need to chill out. A lot of people here can help you, but not if you have a bad attitude and don't carefully read the responses to your questions. BTW, your question has been asked many times, so a Search would get the answer without the personal interaction that upsets you.

gunbunny, you need to chill out. A lot of people here can help you, but not if you have a bad attitude and don't carefully read the responses to your questions. BTW, your question has been asked many times, so a Search would get the answer without the personal interaction that upsets you.
Oh, generally I'm ok, I'm just not taking any crap from someone with 15 posts to their credit.

It may have a pulley bolted on the front of the damper if so remove the outer pulley (3 small bolts) and install the large bolt in the end of the crank with no washer to protect the threads in the end of the crank then you can use a standard harmonic balancer puller to remove it. My understanding is small and big blocks have the same size bolt that you need for a slant 6 for some reason Chrysler got cheap on slants and did not install one at the factory.

Brian

And the /6 damper/pulley is a press on affair so buy yourself a 2" and a 2-1/2" 3/4x16TPI bolts and a hardened flat washer to press it back on when done.

Oh, generally I'm ok, I'm just not taking any crap from someone with 15 posts to their credit.
Hey PAL, I've probably been twisting wrenches longer than you've been alive! Here's some advice Get and read a FSM, you might learn something!

You guys need to can the attitudes. I've been working on cars a LONG time also and I didn't know how it came off. All I saw on mine was the same grease-filled hole.

So my suggestion is if you can't post answers without becoming sarcastic and impatient then spending time on web boards isn't what you should be doing. At least the FSM isn't a smartass when you ask it something, is it?

-
Back