Question on 1965 Cuda value

-

dynodonn

Reaction score
I'm thinking again about putting my car up for sale. The current NADA value guide for a 1965 Formula S shows an average retail value of $15,780 and a high retail value of 24,360. Even a non-S car has an average retail of $13,150 and a high retail of $20,300. I know when I bought mine about 5 years ago average value was around $12k and high retail was $18k. FABO members know these cars better than anyone, so what do you think? Have the values on these cars really gone up that much?

I may be wrong, but I for one feel like the price has increased some. One of the reasons, is it is getting harder to find a good car as well as a lot of people who wanted the road runner and other more expensive cars are being priced out. The average person can find an inexpensive barracuda and have a lot of fun. Also, if you go to a car show in the area I am in, you will be the only one there. I might be off base, so we will wait for others to chime in.

Those numbers are not reality. Top price I have seen very nice ones sell for is 8 to 10 and that is a super nice car.

I recently saw one at auction in north Carolina sell for 22,000. It was a 65 Formula S that was really nice.

I recently saw one at auction in north Carolina sell for 22,000. It was a 65 Formula S that was really nice.

Deduct all the auction fees and it was around 15 and that is a real nice Formula S the price I gave is a non-S.

So prices have gone up some because B bodies are now getting out of reach and E bodies have been gone for a while. Early cars are up greater than 7-9 unless they are a big block car or 'vert. Check out old cars price guide they are pretty close.

You may get more for your car at auction if its nice, you will only pay between 8-12% commission not as much as was mentioned in an earlier post. BUT the only issue with auctions are the right person has to be in the room. And unfortunately for us that is a small crowd, seems folks love em or hate em.

Lets face it if someone is going in with buying a 15k car and they are not brand specific they will look Mustang first, then Camaro/GM, hate to say it but its fact. I follow quite a bit of auctions and this is just my opinion.

I would steer away from Chrysler specific auctions too because they are all Mopar folks looking for the best deal out of many cars.

They best ones I have seen are at the spring Charlotte Swap meet. 1000's of cars but only a handful of early A-bodies.....

Just my 2 cents, but the 9-15k area I think is where you might land a price, unless it is completely original with no respray and low milage, that is where the money is, I have seen some cloned S cars, counterfeiters are out there.

As time goes by the original cars will take over the market because they are few and far between now. Check out AACA websites they might be able to help too.

My opinion??...at auction you can expect the high teens to maybe $20k, but it better be Barret Jackson quality, which will cost you $25-30k to achieve!! The $8-10k range is much easier to work in! Geof

I appreciate all the input. Chryslerfat, I agree that you can probably find a nice non-S car for around $10k. However a nice Formula S car has to be worth more than that. I have seen rusty Formula S cars that need a total restoration on our FABO website with asking prices of $3500-$4500. Tadams, I tend to agree with your comments. I think the B & E body cars are priced out of the market for most of us regular people. The collector I bought my car from stated that if it was a k-code Mustang in the same condition it would have sold for $25,000 to $30,000.

I also agree with the comments about auctions, I have no intention of going to auction with this car if I do decide to sell it. Most auctions are really geared towards the high-dollar collectibles. To me it doesn't make sense to put a car worth maybe $15,000 to $18,000 into an auction. I'll probably put an ad in Hemmings and see if there is any interest. Thanks again for all your help!

Place an add on this site for a start. There are a couple on here now. Check those out. I haven't finished the restoration of my 65 Formula S, and when I do, I have no intention of selling it, but things in life do change things. Mine will be basically stock
it will have new paint, carpet, upholstery, suspension upgrades, but I think it is better than new. I also know a totally stock non restored car in pristine condition would be worth more. But where would you find a 50 year old car like that.

Tadams-My car is supposedly original with a repaint about 20 years ago and has not been restored. However there are certainly non-original parts on the car for the sake of drive-ability including an MP electronic ignitiion, mini-starter, dual exhaust system, tires and wheels, etc. so who knows what else may have been changed in the past 50 years? If I decide to sell I will fully disclose everything I have learned about this car in the past 5 years so the next owner doesn't have to learn the hard way.

Awesome . Check out the ones for sell on this site. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest for the ones for sell here. I know these are unique classic cars, but does take a certain person to get the best price. I wish you the best if you decide to part with it though. I have a friend in North Carolina that will take his to a car show and put a sell sign on in just to see if there is any interest. He has sold several cars that way, for good prices. I went to Rockingham Mopar show earlier this year and there was a Formula S that needed a ton of work for 3000. It had ton's of rust, but was a 4 speed. I think you can find the right buyer and get a good price, but may take longer than other cars such as the Mustang. Good Luck

Is the car in the avatar the one you are selling?

Yes the car in the avatar is the car I may decide to sell. I have posted other pictures of the car on this web site several times. Thanks for asking.

Really looks great! Good luck whichever way you decide to go. I guess where you are in this great country makes a difference in prices as well. I can only speak for the triad area of North Carolina. Maybe there less in some of the other places around.

I like and have previously had 66 chargers. they are sorta like early cuda. people either love them or hate them. the market is the market, whether buying or selling. I had run across a couple of 666 chargers year or two ago, I had the hots for one, so I asked the guys on B body only, what projects and restored cars were ACTUALLY bringing, NOT what people were asking.
I knew from experience about the electroluminescence dash and what it takes to have it actually rebuilt and working, the power pacs, the hidaway headlight system, the cost of missing trim...... I stayed with the early A bodies!!!!!
the early cudas are the same way. people love them OR hate them. basically the price they will bring is related to the price (actual seeling, not asking) of more desirable models, lets say a 67-9 cuda or even a 67-9 383 cuda. IF you find out what the second generation cudas are ACTUALLY selling for, that gives a barometer as what a 64-6 cuda will bring.
and yes, the price of these cars vary from different parts of the country.

Like everything else it's only worth what some body's willing to pay, don't matter you can ask what ever you want at the end of the day it's a buyers market. And the non original stuff was actually an upgrade to improve reliability, safety and performance some may say it hurt the value but i say it helps because those are things the next owner don't have to do.

lou3500, thanks for your comments. Yes, I realize value guides are an estimate and that the car is only worth what someone wants to pay for it. I also think that the upgrades should not hurt the value, but who knows what a buyer will think?

I am selling a 65 Barracuda 273 4 speed. I do not have a fender tag for this car (none when I bought it). I had a 65 FS that was a basket case (rusted through the unibody/frame due to ant infestation) and I have restored/restified the car I am selling with the formula s parts (all except the sway bar, later project if it doesn't sell).
I am taking it to auction this Friday/Saturday here in Birmingham, Alabama to the JMark auction. It has a $200 no sale fee, and they charge 7% commission to seller and buyer.
I am setting a reserve at $17,500 on mine.

It looks a lot like yours

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0471.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 136
bamacuda, I really wish you luck with your sale. The car looks amazing, I would love to have mine turn out as well. I personally feel like you posted a fair price for yours. I know how much thinks cost, not to mention the time you have invested. Again, wishing you much success and a new job soon!

bamacuda, good luck to you at the auction. I saw the ad you ran for your car, and it looks great! It's no doubt in nicer condition than mine.

All ya'lls cars are nicer than mine and it's a shame your selling them even more of a shame i couldn't buy one or both of them best of luck ya'll i hope they go to good loving homes!!!

-
Back