Question on Borgenson power steering box

-
Strange you’d come on a forum rather than ask the question directly to get the correct answer the first time…
The Borgeson box operates at a high pressure than the original box. Most Saginaw pumps are fine. The Saginaws we sell have the target pressure and flow set already.
Your 67 can have either pump. You didn’t mention which one you have.
If it’s a Saginaw, you can try removing all the relief valve shims.
If it’s a federal, we’ve sold new ones with some luck. If you are to convert to Saginaw, the only tough part is the pulley is not reproduced and can be tough to find.

Hi Peter, I bought a Borgerson box from you recently but have not installed yet. I think you said that the Borgerson box wants 12-1300 psi, what's the ideal pressure to give the pump? Does the steering feel change much depending on pressure?

12-1300 is ideal but I haven’t seen issues with less. The only time there is a potential issue is if your pump has week flow at idle. This can produce stiff steering at idle only.

Well I drained my fluid and filled it with Redline synthetic power steering fluid. The car does not die anymore while I'm trying to turn the wheel but it still makes noise all the time that you can feel. I have an appointment to get the car realigned to be sure that the system isn't fighting itself from poor alignment. Hoping that fixes things. Also it seems to have a catch just before center as you bring the wheel back to center. It don't stop but it changes the feel. I don't like that. Hoping the alignment addresses that. Any thoughts input is appreciated.

Saginaw. You can tell by the oval shaped tank. If it has a dipstick, you also have the early cap, which is desirable.
I do have a dipstick on my cap. No leaks from my pump and it worked great with the original worn out gear box.

-
Back