Question on Early A body front Turn Signals

-

Mopar66Valiant

Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been working on my 66 Valiant Hot Rod for a few years now and haven't run across anyone locally who could answer my question so I thought since I'm new to the forum, I would post the question here. When I turn on the parking lights, the front running/turn lights come on and even work properly when I put the turn signal on. When I actually turn on the headlights, the running/turn lights go off but still work as a turn signal when needed. Is this normal for an early A body Mopar or is there something I need to do to keep them on when the headlights are turned on.

I thank you for your help in advance. :glasses7:

Yes. You can change it the same way "Ma" did. Just either move the park light wire on the headlight switch over and splice in with the tail light wire, or splice a jumper between the two.

I'm not sure, tho, if the older park lights were large enough for all that heat.

Yes, you can find a post w/ photos that shows how to add a jumper at the headlamp connector.

In 1965, most cars did not use the "parking" lights as "running" lights. The Plymouth Barracuda did, and it was such a unique idea that they could recognize each other at night and flash the magic finger sign. I recall it was even promoted in ads. Such a brilliant idea. My 1985 M-B is even weirder to us non-Germans. You can light just the left parking lights or just the right. Perhaps for some law about leaving the car on the side of narrow European roads.

-
Back