Question on sure grip parts

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I need to try to find a gear for in my cone style sure grip. Ive never had one of these apart so I took it somewhere to have it gone over. He called and said one of the gears(smaller one) in the sure grip had a small chip in it. He refer to it as one of the Pinion set which is the smaller gear in the sure grip. So i want to place a wanted ad and I want to make sure im asking for the correct part. How should I refer to this particular gear? Any pics of what he is trying to tell me? Would appreciate some schooling here. I plan on going to look at it on Tuesday.
Thanks Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I would worry about a "chip". It kindof depends on how big and where said chip is, and if you are road-racing the car, or if she's just a streetier.
The only time the spiders rotate is when going around turns.......... unless of course,you peg-leg them. And going around turns, usually means your engine is way down the power curve. So those spider gears can look really really sad, and you'd never know it until you look at them.
Plus; the spider gears and side gears wear as a set. If you replace just the one part, it will be carrying most of the load for thousands of miles.

I'll be stopping to look at it tomorrow. Maybe take a pic and post it. I haven't had any luck finding a replacement gear yet. I bought a spool just in case I cant find a gear but I'd rather not run that on the street. I'm not sure how a spool is going to act on the street I have never used or ridden in a car with one in. Guess I might find out!!
Rod

I'll be stopping to look at it tomorrow. Maybe take a pic and post it. I haven't had any luck finding a replacement gear yet. I bought a spool just in case I cant find a gear but I'd rather not run that on the street. I'm not sure how a spool is going to act on the street I have never used or ridden in a car with one in. Guess I might find out!!
Rod

I agree with AJ as long as the chip isn't in a particularly critical area.
Also, technically all 4 gears and their thrust washers (pinion and sides)should be replaced at the same time as well as a new pin for it to actually be done right.
That said, there's a damn good chance I would run the chip.:D

Rod
I ran a spool with 325 DRs for exactly one weekend; in on Friday evening, out on Monday evening; that was enough for me. Cornering was horrible, and parking lot turns had to be very wide.And,Oh boy; the funky dance the tires did,almost made me cry for them. IMO it mustabin real hard on them.
No more spool on the street, ever, for this cowboy.

-
Back