(question: part fitment) 68 Valiant /6

-

RKVS

Dr. Archavious
Reaction score
Looking to buy this pump for a power steering conversion (from manual to power) for my 1968 Valiant /6
https://www.cardone.com/product/20-6159f-power-steering-pump
The website says it fits 69 and up.
Should I have any reason to think that a /6 Saginaw style bracket would not fit my car, and mount to this pump?

I can find /6 brackets online, but they don't say specifically what year

206159F-rit_Medium.jpg

206159F-top_Medium.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

It's not listed for a '68 because they used the Federal pump. If you can locate a Saginaw pump and its brackets for a /6, it should work fine on your car.

No. That year, the P/S pulley bolts onto the balancer. It might bolt to the inside though, so, it's possible you may have to pull it to install the pulley. I'd wait to see where the pump mounts first to see where the add-on pulley will mount. An inner pulley is different than an outer pulley, so you'll need to know which one to get. If you have to pull the balancer, I'd replace the seal while I was at it.

No. That year, the P/S pulley bolts onto the balancer. It might bolt to the inside though, so, it's possible you may have to pull it to install the pulley. I'd wait to see where the pump mounts first to see where the add-on pulley will mount. An inner pulley is different than an outer pulley, so you'll need to know which one to get. If you have to pull the balancer, I'd replace the seal while I was at it.
How do I know the difference between an inner pulley and outer pulley?!

How do I know the difference between an inner pulley and outer pulley?!
The center hole. The inner one is much bigger, big enough to go over the balancer hub. The outer pulley has a center hole only 3/4" or so in diameter. The outer one has a bunch of smaller holes around the perimeter too.

The center hole. The inner one is much bigger, big enough to go over the balancer hub. The outer pulley has a center hole only 3/4" or so in diameter. The outer one has a bunch of smaller holes around the perimeter too.
Do you have a photo of what you're talking about? I'm not quite grasping what the difference would look like on my application. Are you saying the offset is different of the pulley also? Or just the way the pulley mounts?

Do you have a photo of what you're talking about? I'm not quite grasping what the difference would look like on my application. Are you saying the offset is different of the pulley also? Or just the way the pulley mounts?
One bolts on the balancer inboard next to the timing cover, the other bolts on the radiator side. They're two different pulleys. Some cars use both, some one or the other, some, like yours didn't use an extra pulley at all.

One bolts on the balancer inboard next to the timing cover, the other bolts on the radiator side. They're two different pulleys. Some cars use both, some one or the other, some, like yours didn't use an extra pulley at all.

You mean like an Idler pulley?

Damn. I hope the one you get doesn't have the can beat all to **** like that one.

-
Back