Questions about lights...

-

sledger46

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the process of getting my 67 Dart ready for inspection. I went through and replaced all the turn signal and brake light bulbs and proceded to test everything. Everything worked as expected except for the following:

When I pull the headlight switch out to light the parking lights, this works fine and all the lights come on. When I pull the headlight switch all the way out and light the headlights the from turn signal lights go out. This seems strange to me, but maybe it was a feature in 67. I am thinking the headlight switch mucst be bad.

Your thoughts???

I don`t know why dodge would be different from plymouth, but maybe? My 67, the park/signal`s stay on with headlights. But my 68 f-350 park`s go off with headlights on. You need more owners of 67 dart guys to chime in8)

'67 Dart owner here....thats totally normal for a '67 Dart. Back in '65, Barracuda's had the parks and H/L's on at the same time, BUT '65 Valiants did not....wierd, eh???

From Valiant.org...

Chris North wrote: Until 1968, the parking lights on US cars normally went off when the headlights were turned on. The early Plymouth Barracuda put a jumper between the tail light terminal and the parking light terminal on the plug that attaches to the headlight switch, to make the parking lights stay on when the headlights were turned on. For your Valiant, you can remove the headlight switch and solder a jumper wire between the "P" and "R" terminals on your headlight switch to keep the parking lights on with the headlights.

This would probably work for '67 Darts too.

Yes, w/ headlights on, signals still work as normal. I had a 67 and it worked this exact way too. Parking lamps shut off when you turn headlights on.

Yup, yup, and yup -- only the Barracudas had parking lamps that stayed on with the headlamps until '68 when it became required, and you can easily add a jumper to the headlamp switch to add this feature to the earlier cars. Good idea -- it means the car still looks like a car (and not a much narrower motorcycle) if a headlamp burns out.

Before I bought the 67 Dart, the oldest car I had worked on was a 70 Challenger RT and the parking lights stayed on when you turned on the headlights. The front turn signals work fine with the headlights on. How would I go about tapping into the headlight switch to keep the front lights on with the headlights?
Thanks,

No, there's no difference in the headlamp switch -- the difference is in the wiring. To make the mod, remove the headlamp switch and place a short 16ga jumper between the "P" and "R" terminals on the headlamp switch body, right down at the base of those terminals. Make sure the ends of the jumper are neatly tucked so they won't touch any adjacent terminals, then push the connector block onto the switch, on top of your new jumper wire.

Before I bought the 67 Dart, the oldest car I had worked on was a 70 Challenger RT and the parking lights stayed on when you turned on the headlights. The front turn signals work fine with the headlights on. How would I go about tapping into the headlight switch to keep the front lights on with the headlights?
Thanks,

From Message #5 above^^^^^^

For your Valiant, you can remove the headlight switch and solder a jumper wire between the "P" and "R" terminals on your headlight switch to keep the parking lights on with the headlights.

-
Back