Questions about my Carter AFB 4298s

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
Hoping some of the experts on here could school me. Just rebuilt and cleaned 2 Carter carbs both 4298s. One had two metering rods 65-48 and 65-49. The other had 65-59 and 65-60. Does anyone know what size rods came standard in these carbs. Just to be sure the first # is idle and the second number is under power. The higher the second # the more it leans out the mixture. Is this correct? What jump in size does the rods for this carburetor usually go up or down? For performance should I go with the orange springs for my metering rods. I heard they give the best responsiveness. Has anyone had success by moving the accelerator pump setting from the middle hole of the linkage to the top setting or lower? What does moving the linkage do? I measured the height of my accelerator pump from top of the piston to the top of carburetor it is at 7/16" just as specs state. How difficult is it to replace the fitting where the PCV hose slides onto the carb? I just noticed as I was about the put the carb on the intake that it is missing. You can see it in the photo. Sorry about all the questions but trying to learn.

Carl

image.jpeg

I can answer the accelerator pump part. Volume of shot provided. Pump action begins at same time. Pump travel and amount of fuel dispensed changes with the different hole choices.

I want to thank everyone that has chimed in. The information and references are much appreciated. Does anyone know what model edelbrock carburetor most closely resembles the factory Carter 4298s that came on my 67 383 4 speed barracuda? Does it look like the PCV hose connection missing on my carb in the picture can be repaired and if so how? Thanks

The hose barb that came in the carb when made was pressed in. Find a junk carb and remove or use another barb to fit in. That may reauire some drilling to the proper size to press in.

-
Back