Questions about my Mechanical Fuel Pump

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Guys, I've been researching all week and I would like some help picking a fuel pump and fuel system that will work with my car.

I had the engine at the dyno and they did a fuel pump test with my stock pump. It was not impressive and they suggested I upgrade to a better pump. Im currently using this pump.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6866/overview/year/1971/make/dodge/model/dart

Here is my test results. The pump just doesnt have enough to keep up @ WOT.

View attachment IMG_20160325_183706538.jpg

I understand for normal everyday driving my pump would be sufficient, but I want to make sure that the pump is sized correctly for what ever it is I plan on doing.

So I've been researching mechanical and electric. Im torn between which route I should go.

I have a 5/16" sending unit and 5/16" steel line currently.

I have no problem upgrading whatever I need to, I just want to hear some suggestions.

I am also using this pump. I have 3/8" lines but adapted at the pump in and out. I don't know what to suggest but I am interested as I think I might be in the same boat when the 5.9 mag goes in.

Im leaning towards the Carter 6270 pump. However since it puts out to much pressure it needs a regulator, and not sure if I have to run a return line or even a bigger line/sending unit. It also seems like they stop making the rebuild kits for them, at least I have not found them online yet.

I'm running the 6270. Mine does not put out too much pressure and I do not have a return line. I see 7psi cold and 5- 6 or so when hot. Heard about some of them putting out too much and was prepared for it but mine is just fine.

FWIW the Edelbrock and Holley High volume pumps BOTH showed numbers just like yours on the dyno, and even lower. The Carter was my last shot at a mechanical. So far, so good.

A 5/16 system is plenty big enough for what you have there, IMO. I think a good quality pump and regulator will work well. A return line would not hurt. If you do that, make sure you get a return style regulator.

To the OP i would make sure you have a 3/8" pickup and fuel line to the pump, the pump might actually work better on the car with a full tank of gas. There will be some pressure on the suction side of the pump with the fuel in the tank.

I'm running the 6270. Mine does not put out too much pressure and I do not have a return line. I see 7psi cold and 5- 6 or so when hot. Heard about some of them putting out too much and was prepared for it but mine is just fine.

FWIW the Edelbrock and Holley High volume pumps BOTH showed numbers just like yours on the dyno, and even lower. The Carter was my last shot at a mechanical. So far, so good.

Thanks for your experience and input. I was thinking of the Edelbrock pump, but glad you posted that. I've heard nothing but good things about the Carter, except that the output is in all different ranges.

I see 6.9 to 8.1 psi. What is the max psi for your carb?
How about this one? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4529368/overview/make/dodge

I've looked at that pump, Ive ran across some articles with fitment issues if you have an aluminum water pump.

A 5/16 system is plenty big enough for what you have there, IMO. I think a good quality pump and regulator will work well. A return line would not hurt. If you do that, make sure you get a return style regulator.

Rob, The guy at the dyno mentioned the same thing.. A good quality fuel pump with the right amount of GPH is key. I've seen the term bypass regulator as well as return regulator. Is there a difference? Also my sending unit does not have any extra lines to return to. The 3/8 unit looks like it has a return line built into it. That was one of my hangups.. Where to return it to? One of the 4 vent lines on the tank, new sending unit with a return? Kinda stumped.

To the OP i would make sure you have a 3/8" pickup and fuel line to the pump, the pump might actually work better on the car with a full tank of gas. There will be some pressure on the suction side of the pump with the fuel in the tank.

Thanks, I do have a roll of -6 PTFE tubing I could use in place of the steel line, if I decide to go that route. I have also read that I should keep as much steel line as possible on the car instead of running stainless braided the entire run. Im not sure why, but there must be a reason.

Im leaning towards staying with the mechanical. I've also heard good things about the Carter. I just want to make sure I have the correct fuel system.

If a return is recommended for either system, then I just need to know how to return it back to my tank. That is what Im stuck on at this point.

A bypass and return regulator are the same animal just using different terms.

-
Back