questions about right after paint is laid

-

71dustar

Reaction score
Hopefully within the next week my painter will have room in his shop to weld in new spare tire well and paint my duster. After it is painted I'll be spraying the interior floor pans with black rust bullet. Since I'll have to mask off everything that I dont want black, how long after the car is painted can i lay on plastic sheets to mask off the car?

I'd give it a week, but I also wouldn't leave the tape and plastic on for any longer than you have to...a couple days.. use good masking tape like 3M so it doesn't leave residue and pulls off easily. Worth the extra $$$

Why Not Do The Floors Before You Send It To Get Painted You Said It Will Be A Few Weeks Before Your Friend Can Paint It

well if all goes well then i will paint the floor before i paint it but it depends on his schedule and if he want to knock out the welding and painting in one period or different times since he lives an hour away. any good type of plastic sheeting i should look for if i have to paint the floor after?

I would try to paint from inside out too. The thinest, least expensive sheeting found in the paint dept of Lowes etc.. will work. Low tack tape is a must !
proper surface prep is the key. if an area is not sanded and preped right, a day or a year wait wont matter. The tape might still lift the paint. Saw this happen area just below the door glass, when pin stripe was added over body color. Paint had been on 2 weeks and the tape wasn't there 2 hours.

i know i have to sand the floors to get the rust bullet to stick but will like painters tape do any harm to the paint just laid? i'm going to try to keep the tape off the new paint to lower the chances of ruining it.

If the car is going to be painted in a paint booth w/heat, you can mask it off the next day just to be safe vs. that same day if need be also.
Laying clear plastic down the next day won't hurt even if car is not baked at 140 degree's for 2 hours or less. Just don't apply pressure to plastic to much and you'll be fine. I paint for a living, 20 + years, so I wouldn't steer you wrong. Besides, your painter should have this answer for you as well IMO.
Can't wait to see photos of it done, always exciting!

Mark

once car is painted i'll post the pics of it. my gut is telling me when i paint the interior i should mask off the whole car, right?

Yes, mask off the entire car. Over spray is not what you want on a freshly painted car or ever for that matter.

Mark

-
Back