Questions for centrifugal blower guys

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I have two main questions for the centrifugal blower guys out there like the Paxton style setup. The first would be is there a different between using a full carb enclosure like the Paxton kit can include as opposed to just a carb hat setup that I've seen on a lot of the pictures for turbos and such? It seems like it would be way easier to just bolt on a hat so I didn't have to worry about running lines and linkages through an enclosure, but I didn't know if there was a downfall to just a carb hat. The next question is whether or not anyone is running an intercooler with a belt driven setup and has some pictures of the piping setup. Most kits I've seen just run straight to the carb, but I figure if I did any kind of remote setup like a belt driven or turbo I'd rather intercool it to keep heat down. I had wanted to do a roots blower, but I don't think there's any way I can squeeze a pulley in front of the engine without having to move the radiator forward.

Not speaking from experience, just repeating what I was told yesterday by The Supercharger Store. They say water/meth injection works well to cool the pressurized air.

Member Prine was explaining the same thing to me yesterday. Water injection instead of an intercooler. A big intercooler in front of the radiator is asking for problems with alot of boost. Engine Temperatures will dramatically increase from the blockage of airflow to the radiator.

a carb enclosure will allow you to run without fully boost preping the seal on the shafts with a blow through hat you need to fully prep the carb for boost so you don't have leaks at the shafts

Yeah, I was just thinking a brick of an intercooler up front might heat things up a bit, though the car doesn't seem to be having too much trouble as is. I figured I would probably end up buying a blower carb instead of messing with what I have, so could I expect it to be sealed up good or would I still have to think about checking it out? I know some about the water and meth injection, though it would be nice to not have to worry about keeping a tank full since the car would see a lot of street time and only occasional strip runs so it would be nice to have the benefit of an intercooler all the time.

I have a paxton on my 360 in my duster, and I am running it on E85. Then you don't have to run water/meth injection. But then again depends on what the availability of E85 in your area, I have 2 stations within 5 miles of my house.

I also went with a blow through carb from quik fuel instead of using the carb enclosed one. It makes tuning the carb much easier. And i routed the intake up into one of the scoops on the car.

Yeah, there plenty of E85 here in Kansas, but I know the other issues that come up with it since I had to deal with it during a project in college. You have to be careful with everything since E85 will eat up most standard stuff. Everything pretty much either needs to be stainless, hard anodized aluminum, or teflon coated rubber if you want it to last. I was just made aware of the SDCE kits and may be talking to them at some point.

I run a procharger at 16lbs through a carb shop blow through..
I use water/meth injection. It all works very well on top of a 474.
The carb has major prep work.. You will want to have a good carb.. Expanded bowls, preasure equalized.. power value protection etc..
You will also want to tune on a dyno with proper 02 analysis to get your fuel curve proper..

I use a paxton sc with a hat, air to air intercooler and water/alky injection. Its a 406 magnum small block 9-1 comp and 16 lbs boost. I have the injection set up to start about 6 lbs.

Nice, what kind of power are you getting out of that setup? Sounds pretty close to what I'd like to do. Currently debating between a 340 or 360, possibly stroking a 360 with a ProCharger setup from SDCE. It's a long way in the future though, probably next summer at least. I'd like to get an idea of what all everything is going to cost so I'm not just one part away and out of money down the road, lol. Probably not going to go quite as high on the boost though. Realistically I'm going to be driving the car around a lot, so I don't want to get real crazy and have to worry about keeping a water/meth tank full. Anyone care to post pictures of their intercooler setups? I had the crazy idea after seeing a friend's Subaru WRX to try to sneak one up in one of the giant SS Hemi hood scoops, but I'm guessing the carb is going to get in the way.

I use a paxton sc with a hat, air to air intercooler and water/alky injection. Its a 406 magnum small block 9-1 comp and 16 lbs boost. I have the injection set up to start about 6 lbs.

Curious where you have mounted the water injector ? Normally you want it on the input side of the blower so it atomizes in the turbine.. In your application though I would think the water vapor might condensate in the intercooler ? Where do you have it mounted ?

I will try to get some pics this weekend to post. I am running the 6 pack style scoop with a fresh air box that seals my kn filter there. From there to sc and then to 2 spearco 800 hp intercoolers that have been combined with new end tanks after the ic I inject the meth about 16 inches before the hat.

Curious where you have mounted the water injector ? Normally you want it on the input side of the blower so it atomizes in the turbine.. In your application though I would think the water vapor might condensate in the intercooler ? Where do you have it mounted ?

I will be running the AIS Stage 2 system..............with multiple nozzles and about 15lbs of boost. 410 Stroker 9:1 Compression with Iron Heads and a Air to Water intercooler with a Heat Exchanger that will have 2 10" Fans on it and a Ice Box in the trunk that will be used for racing only.

There is some good information here about where to mount your nozzle or nozzles.....

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....-My-Water-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html

DART340 I will try to get some pics this weekend to post. I am running the 6 pack style scoop with a fresh air box that seals my kn filter there. From there to sc and then to 2 spearco 800 hp intercoolers that have been combined with new end tanks after the ic I inject the meth about 16 inches before the hat.

Running 16lbs of boost you might want to consider running 2 or 3 nozzles.

What meth system are you running?

I will be running the AIS Stage 2 system..............with multiple nozzles and about 15lbs of boost. 410 Stroker 9:1 Compression with Iron Heads and a Air to Water intercooler with a Heat Exchanger that will have 2 10" Fans on it and a Ice Box in the trunk that will be used for racing only.

There is some good information here about where to mount your nozzle or nozzles.....

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems....-My-Water-Injection-Nozzles/article_info.html

Running 16lbs of boost you might want to consider running 2 or 3 nozzles.

What meth system are you running?

I have been running up to 16lbs for a couple years with only a single nozzle into the blower.. I'de be lying to you if I told you I dont have to be careful with timing and fuel mix but all these devices may be a bit overkill.

Now I am using aluminum heads on a big block but still at 9:1..
As we all know cooler is better so you guys with intercoolers and water are in better shape.. but for those who are concidering a blown application just understand you may not have to do all that. If I had a little room I would like to add an intercooler to maybe get more timing in, but I've been doing ok..

I will try to get some pics this weekend to post. I am running the 6 pack style scoop with a fresh air box that seals my kn filter there.QUOTE]

That's a cool idea, more or less what I was thinking, only with the intake instead of an intercooler. I'd like to see how you go it all set up and see just how much room there is under the scoop before you run into the intake and carb.

I run a single nozel Snow kit, full 35 degrees with no retard, Ive never had a ping problem and usually don't use my water injection when the temps are down around 7o degrees

Back in the 50s, Studebaker/Packard used a McCulloch (precursor to Paxton) blower that had a unique clutch on it. It would kick in at 3000 rpm. The blower pulley was like the driven pulley on a CVT. As revs increased, the pulley "shrunk". Is Paxton or one of the other centrifugal S/C makers using a a clutch like that? Just wondering...

-
Back