Quick carpet help

-

amzchad

Reaction score
i just ordered black auto custom carpet for my 74 dart sport and i am installing it tommarow any help or tips of advice will be appreciated

thanks

chad

i have never installed carpet before

Make sure you have sharp sizzors, knife, blades. i used a soldering iron to do most of the holes for the belts, seats, started in the center and worked out, use weights to keep the carpet down and conformed to the floor. Most important take your time, think twice cut once.

let it sit out in the sun for a few hours......

Did you get the regular carpet or the new MASS backed carpet? The MASS back has a rubber covering on it.
It will determine how you install it.
If it is just the regular carpet with the jute padding it is very easy to install.
I like the idea of the soldering iron...just do not use a drill or anything the carpet will catch on, knife and sizzors and a sharp screwdriver type poker to find the seat and seatbelt holes.
AL

I just let the carpet sit in the car for a few weeks in the heat while I did other things to the Dart. It took more of a shape that way, but I was also in no hurry to install it. Always leave a LITTLE extra so when you go to really button down things you can use a razor blade and wont have a ton of carpet to hack off. I did my first carpet install, and it's not perfect (would be if I sprayed the adhesive to keep some portions of the carpet flat to the floor) but I'm hoping that wear and tear will settle it in better!

Be sure and start with the back section first, I used some good insulation before installing the carpet, you can use spray on carpet glue or 3m old yeller for the insulation. Also when cutting cut a little bit, always better to have to cut twice than too short.

Be very careful if handling bucket seats. Those rusty mounting studs can scar doors, rip clothing, break skin. Good luck

-
Back