quick check of front end alignment for 74 duster

-

OklaDuster

Reaction score
got my engine and transmission out today and noticed the k-frame has alot of big dings in it and front suspension pretty much shot. My question is: Is there any measurements i can make to check the front end to see if i got anything to work with.(to scrap or not to scrap the car) i did not notice any buckling in the body anywhere, the passenger door looks to be little lower on door latch side. hinges felt tight.

Attachments

• dart.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 719
How about posting up some pics?
I am not sure exactly what your problem is yet. Tell us more about the car - did you just get it, have you been driving it, noticing any noises like something hitting the K? Is the steering loose, how are the tires?
I sure wouldn't think about junking the car at this point without knowing more.
C

In the "body and frame" chapter of your factory shop manual. I think some of them had separate manuals for the body

The thread:

You need to scroll down, as some of the first links got broken, and were re-posted later on

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

There's a 66 and 70 manual over at MyMopar

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

This is out of the 70 Dart manual:

Wow thanks that will answer alot of my questions. I think I found the manual I need for my Duster. When I get CD I will share it with everyone here.

How about posting up some pics?
I am not sure exactly what your problem is yet. Tell us more about the car - did you just get it, have you been driving it, noticing any noises like something hitting the K? Is the steering loose, how are the tires?
I sure wouldn't think about junking the car at this point without knowing more.
C

Here are some pics. The back story on this car is I rescued it out of pasture and pretty much dug it out of the sand. The tires where flat and dragged that way. The rims had flat spots ground on them. Paid 0$ for car but nothing is for free right?
Forward story is I want to build into Hotrod.:glasses7:

Attachments

• IMG_0057.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 278
Worse case, replace K member, however looking at photos, it doesn’t tool too bad. If you are replacing the suspension & steering components anyway, go one step further, remove K member, and straighten some of the bad dents with torch and hammer, than check for condition of welds & steering box attachment points for cracks, repair as necessary. Reassemble K member and check body/frame dimensions tweaking assembly as needed until close enough… These cars were not built with real close tolerances like todays cars are.

Once car is back together, and there is a caster problem, UCA offset corrector bushings may inexpensively fix the problem, or certainly fully adjustable tubular UCAs will fix it.

The door can be adjusted at the hinge’s attachment point on body. Two bolts per hinge face outward, the third is accessed from under dash & kick panel, and if fender is removed job becomes a lot easier. Have a friend help with door alignment

One place you need to check for corrosion is in the front sub frame dogleg between shock and where sub frame connects to cross member by using an awl or pick hammer probing for weak spots. If you find any they can be easily repaired by installing Safe T Caps, or by welding in homemade patches.

She's been abused, that's for sure! I'm surprised that the inner fenders look as good as they do. What does the floor & trunk pan look like. As for the front end, wjajr gave you good advice.
C

Worse case, replace K member, however looking at photos, it doesn’t tool too bad. If you are replacing the suspension & steering components anyway, go one step further, remove K member, and straighten some of the bad dents with torch and hammer, than check for condition of welds & steering box attachment points for cracks, repair as necessary. Reassemble K member and check body/frame dimensions tweaking assembly as needed until close enough… These cars were not built with real close tolerances like todays cars are.

Once car is back together, and there is a caster problem, UCA offset corrector bushings may inexpensively fix the problem, or certainly fully adjustable tubular UCAs will fix it.

The door can be adjusted at the hinge’s attachment point on body. Two bolts per hinge face outward, the third is accessed from under dash & kick panel, and if fender is removed job becomes a lot easier. Have a friend help with door alignment

One place you need to check for corrosion is in the front sub frame dogleg between shock and where sub frame connects to cross member by using an awl or pick hammer probing for weak spots. If you find any they can be easily repaired by installing Safe T Caps, or by welding in homemade patches.

Great info I will be checking all that next trip in shop:prayer:
Thanks

She's been abused, that's for sure! I'm surprised that the inner fenders look as good as they do. What does the floor & trunk pan look like. As for the front end, wjajr gave you good advice.
C

Ya almost looks like they where curb jumping it. Trunk pan looks good. 3 quarters need replaced on floor pans. I agree I was suprised about inner fenders my self, only bad spot is where fenders bolted to inner fender, so far.
But after rust removed I think still plenty of metal left.

judging by the strut rod bushings-- that "k" will be ok-- just some dukes of hazzard culvert jumps!! cars looks like a great starting point-- good luck with the project & it was nice to meet you ,Lawrence

judging by the strut rod bushings-- that "k" will be ok-- just some dukes of hazzard culvert jumps!! cars looks like a great starting point-- good luck with the project & it was nice to meet you ,Lawrence

ya nice meeting you, might be doing it again. wish i bought them torsion bars and k from ya. I think it was a V8 k right? or i may just convert this one. thought about maybe getting it straight then weld a piece of plate to it, to put strength back in it. (i tend to over build)lol

That bulge/dent/buckle in the inner fender on the passenger side behind the voltage regulator on top would have me a bit concerned........
Check to see if it's been hit on the front end up high, maybe near the headlight.
The k member looks to be repairable, i would change it if it isn't easily straightened.
It doesn't look too bad though.

-
Back