Quick question - TCI torque converter...

-

Cleveland57

Reaction score
Quick question: Which TCI torque converter for a 69 Dart, semi-daily driver/ cruiser with slightly built (350+hp) 360, 727?

A. Saturday Night Special @ 2000 stall
B. Breakaway @ 2200-2400
C. Another Solution in that price/stall range

Your thoughts are appreciated...
Thanks!

If you call them and give them the specs on the car and engine. They should recommend one that is correct for the package.

I've got the TCI Streetfighter 904 auto with the breakaway tourque convertor matched up to my 340 bored 30 over with Edelbrock 750 and Edelbrock Performer manifold. and I drive my car quite a bit when i get the chance to. Just recently put this drivetrain into my car and drove it 364 miles roundtrip from N.C. to VA and car ran awesome on the highway. Plenty of get up and go especially in the 2400 -2800 RPM range.

I'm using tci 10 inch streetfighter converter and love it, lol Best t.c. I had, will pull at 1,500 great, even at idle @ 900-800 rpm I need to keep my foot on the brake to remain stop, yet when pushed, 3,000 min it stalls at.

Feels at low rpms, light throttle much tighter than the pos Breakaway I used to have, yes its $200 more but worth every penny extra, imo.

For max performance pick a converter that locks up as close to the maximum torque rpm as possible so that when you launch you are at maximum torque.

For a street car that might race once in a while, I use the cruise rpm and stroke to pick a convertor. The 360 can take a lower stall, which will make the car feel more responsive and be better on gas. If it's a mild 360, and the gearing is numerically lower than 3.91, then i'd go with the Sat night special. If you have 3.91s to 4.10s, the Break a way might be better.

warning tci is like gambling, and it's not better then below....

I only use Martin Saine, A&A or Dynamic for Tc's.... no problems, no dropping the trans 2, 3, 4 times and cleaning them and the radiators out...

And.... and... way WAAAAAAY better performance....

Using a Martin Saine perf TC over tci would be like using a brand new Johnson & Johnson's band aid on deep cut.... or using a pre used band aid from a aid's victim.... sure it'll hold back the bleeding, but the after effects & price sucks...

It is your car though....

Call Martin tell him i saved you from a mistake

-
Back