Quick Question

-

grumpuscreature

Resident Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Will a '73 torque converter bolt up to a '66 crank or is the snout too big? If it matters, this is going on a slant. Thanks in advance.

Will a '73 torque converter bolt up to a '66 crank or is the snout too big? If it matters, this is going on a slant. Thanks in advance.

If your talking about small blocks the answer is no. The hub that fits in the back of the cranks are different sizes. I already found that out.

Nope, 225 slant. What has me cornfuzzled is that the parts catalogs online have the same part numbers for both years for both the flexplate and the converter. Does anybody know for sure?

Ask at slant6.org I know the V8s are different sizes but I'm not so sure about the 6 cyls

I don't know the answer but the parts supplier I buy my trans. parts from shows different part #'s for 62-66 and 67-up /6 converters so it sounds like they may have the same issue as the small blocks. Do you have a caliper to measure them with?

Got a whole tool box full of measuring tools (Dad was a machinist for over 40 years). What I don't have is a '66 torque converter. The trans and converter I have came out of a '73 Duster and the engine they were hooked to isn't ready to go in the car yet. I can buy an automatic floor shifter for what a clutch will cost and I want to switch to an automatic when the '73 engine is ready to go. Right now, my clutch pedal is stuck on the floor and the trans won't grab any gears.

The slant six and small block had the same issue. The size of the crank hole changed between 67 and 68. The early hole was smaller, so the late converter and/or flexplate will not fit. It is possible to use a early trans/converter with a late engine, by using an "adapter" ring in the end of the crank, and the late flexplate. But you cannot put the late converter/trans up to the early engine, without a custom made converter (or swapping to the late crank).

If I remember right the o.d. of the early pilot was 1.55" and the late pilot is 1.81" so there's a little over a 1/4" difference.

Kinda sucks don't it? Oh well, since I already have all the parts except the clutch, it's time for the 4 speed to move off the shelf and earn it's keep.

i know this to be true. I bought a 64 dart to use the motor in my 69 barracuda, both slants and the 69 converter snout was too big to fit the crank.

Kinda sucks don't it? Oh well, since I already have all the parts except the clutch, it's time for the 4 speed to move off the shelf and earn it's keep.

Remember you have the same problem (early crank, late crank) with a stick flywheel. There is a early small hole, and a late large hole.

The car is already a 3 on the tree so I have a '66 flywheel. If it is too chewed up to surface I also have a '62 flywheel on the shelf. Thanks for your help. You guys are a treasure.

I can't help with your question, but plz say hello to Mary :wave:

I put in a later Hyd headed slant in Nikkis 66 Dart and used the stock 66 904 and converter. It fit fine and runs but at freeway speed there is a very slight vibration. You wouldn't even notice it if you weren't a "car guy". I need to pull the tranny and get the spacer from torqueflitepattys ebay auction.

I put in a later Hyd headed slant in Nikkis 66 Dart and used the stock 66 904 and converter. It fit fine and runs but at freeway speed there is a very slight vibration. You wouldn't even notice it if you weren't a "car guy". I need to pull the tranny and get the spacer from torqueflitepattys ebay auction.

Better get that spacer in as fast as you can scamp. Without it a lot of side loading is placed on the converter, input shaft, and front pump so it'll wear things pretty darn fast. Could even break the input shaft.

-
Back