QUIET external low-pressure electric fuel pump?

-

69_340_GTS

Reaction score
Is there a quiet external low-pressure electric fuel pump on the market? I bought an expensive "Quiet-Flo" Edelbrock #1792 120gph/12psi pump mostly because they claimed it was quiet. It isn't. Is there such a thing? (I am running it as recommended with a bypass/return system.) Thanks!

With or without a return line? Without a return your choices are limited.

With return line I use a Walbro GSL-392 High pressure pump with a Mallory 1407M Return style regulator. Pump is super quiet and fuel pressure is dead solid and does not move at 6.5 PSI. Good for an easy 600whp in a Natural Aspirated application.

With return line I use a Walbro GSL-392 High pressure pump with a Mallory 1407M Return style regulator. Pump is super quiet and fuel pressure is dead solid and does not move at 6.5 PSI. Good for an easy 600whp in a Natural Aspirated application.

Yes, with a bypass regulator and a return line. Thanks for the recommendation. Actually, with a different regulator I can even run an EFI hi-pressure pump - if they might be quieter.

Yes, with a bypass regulator and a return line. Thanks for the recommendation. Actually, with a different regulator I can even run an EFI hi-pressure pump - if they might be quieter.

The GSL-392 is High Pressure. It is really quiet. $95.00 on ebay. There is a seller on there that has sold over 1000 of them. I have bought 4 from him myself.

Mad.... Do those walbro pumps really have a 10mm x1.0 threaded opening. Man that is small.

They seem to work well for you.

This is a 10mm to -8 line fitting.
a20792913df19855d8234e_l.JPG

I also use the GSL - 392 walbro it is very quiet well you can barely hear it with the engine off rock steady fuel pressure .and you can also stack a bunch of them mad dart has some great pics of his stack of 392's here is a link where I got mine http://www.gsl392.com/ .
I will just say it is a lot better than my aeromotive pump that only lasted 1100 miles and I couldent hear my 416 when it was running .

Mad.... Do those walbro pumps really have a 10mm x1.0 threaded opening. Man that is small.

They seem to work well for you.

This is a 10mm to -8 line fitting.
a20792913df19855d8234e_l.JPG

Yes they sure do. I feed mine from the tank to 10an Filter to the pump with 10an.

I go 8an from there to the regulator and 8an return. I learned of this pump on theturboforums.com. Guys use them with great success. Big boookuu power too.

It is a continuous duty pump and it lifts fuel up to 5 feet and self primes as well. Cant beat it for the $$..!

This is great info.

I am looking for a quiet fuel pump too.

Is 6.5 psi the correct pressure to supply to the carb? I have a crate 360 with a 750 Holley double pumper.

Thanks,

What is the purpose of having three of them together? Forgive me if you said so in your video. I dont have speakers on my computer.

Because a singing trio is better than a duet? LOL

Mad has a high powered engine, and then some.

Mad Dart is the regulator a Mallory 4307M? I did a quick search and the only Mallory regulator I can find ending with an "M" is the 4307M. I ask because I'm putting together the fuel system for a friends car right now, and you seem to have no regrets about your setup.

I swear by these pumps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-4110

Mallory pumps are very quiet and last forever, even without a return line. Make sure you get a good ground (like you need with any pump) and you're good to go.

The new Holley billet carbed pumps (not the blue, etc) are supposed to be really quiet (the EFI ones certainly are), but I have not tested the carb pumps myself.

Steve

The Mallory pumps are very good. I usually run the 140's.

The Mallory pumps are very good. I usually run the 140's.

My NOS Nova buddy Jerry runs 2 of them but the 250 models, 1 for the Motor and 1 for the Juice. He has had good luck with them. His car is so loud compression squeaking you only hear the exhaust..... LOL

I just bought a new Mallory 140 pump with regulator on Ebay for $88. I read up on them, seem like a good choice for a street/strip car.

Holy CRAP! That's a great deal. I didn't realize you meant a new pump!

I think you'll really like that pump.

Very quiet and you don't need to change the rest of the fuel system:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/powersurge.html

I read all of the information in that link. You are using a Walbro Pump for this?? The fuel system does need a regulator to operate correctly so the fuel system will need to be modified is what it says. I do understand that the return goes from the regulator back to your pump. It also says if you do not use a regulator with the pump and lower the fuel pressure the flow will be reduced by 50%. 50% of What???

Also there is NO Flow Data that I could find anywhere. It just say's this one for 500hp and this one for up to 1000Hp. Can you point us in that direction of the Data so anyone interested can know how much fuel these pumps actually flow?

Notes:
The PowerSurge must be used with a bypass (return style) regulator. However, the return line runs from the regulator to the PowerSurge, not back to the fuel tank.
Not recommended for use with methanol.
Made in the USA. We use only genuine Walbro electric fuel pumps.
Not recommended for applications requiring more than 65 psi (75 psi intermittent).
Requires the use of a factory 1/4" vapor return line.
The PowerSurge 500 can be later upgraded to a PowerSurge 1000 for $100

Thanks in Advance

Holy CRAP! That's a great deal. I didn't realize you meant a new pump!

I think you'll really like that pump.

Yeah, I was surprised at how cheap it was. Got it from JC Whitney on Ebay. Hope they don't send me some knock off. I am ditching a Carter street/strip mechanical, psyched to be stepping up to a cool-guy electric. :glasses7:

Anyway... from what I've read here and elsewhere, the Mallory was the quietest of the old school conventional fuel pumps. Noise was definitely a consideration for me as well. My car is pretty loud though, I can bet most any pump would be hard to hear it over the 'mufflers'.

The FI pumps all seem like they could be quiet as well but I would think the ones that get submersed in the tank are the quietest. That's what all the OEMs are these days. People complain about noises more than anything in cars. Automakers would be buried under noise complaints if they had noisy fuel pumps.

One Walbro 255LPH pump in the PowerSurge 500 and two in the PowerSurge 1000.

You said: "It also says if you do not use a regulator with the pump and lower the fuel pressure the flow will be reduced by 50%. 50% of What???"
I'm not sure where you read that but it has nothing to do with the PowerSurge. That refers to the mechanical pumps we make.

When using the PowerSurge, there is no need to change or remove any of the stock fuel system components (fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter etc). The PowerSurge is added to your stock fuel system. The PowerSurge requires the use of a return/bypass regulator but the return line only has to run back to the PowerSurge, not all the way back to the fuel tank.

Hope this helps.

I read all of the information in that link. You are using a Walbro Pump for this?? The fuel system does need a regulator to operate correctly so the fuel system will need to be modified is what it says. I do understand that the return goes from the regulator back to your pump. It also says if you do not use a regulator with the pump and lower the fuel pressure the flow will be reduced by 50%. 50% of What???

Also there is NO Flow Data that I could find anywhere. It just say's this one for 500hp and this one for up to 1000Hp. Can you point us in that direction of the Data so anyone interested can know how much fuel these pumps actually flow?

Thanks in Advance

-
Back