R3 tall deck 426 Victor Heads

-

AUSA66

Reaction score
Is there a general restrictor size for rocker bar oiling using Hughes 1.5 alloy rockers no roller bearings
Full groove main
I added an inline tap to the rocker oil supply when running 2000 RPM i am at 58 PSI if i turn off the rocker oiling for a moment the pressure increases to 85 lbs my current restrictors are 94 thou should i reduce down a bit the oil is spraying 3 foot in the air out of the rocker top hole
Oil pressure stays at 58 at 1,000 rpm idle

hughes.jpg

And the point would be to increase the oil pressure? I think I would leave it alone. 58 PSI at 2K is plenty, plus that's a lot of oil up top......that's a good thing, right?

I agree being an alloy rocker running on a steel shaft the higher flow should help prevent galling .
Just putting it out there for 2nd opinion .

You only get a squirt when the cam hole lines up with the hole going to the rockers ?
Unless you have a modified cam bearing or a groove in the cam to oil full time ?

You only get a squirt when the cam hole lines up with the hole going to the rockers ?
Unless you have a modified cam bearing or a groove in the cam to oil full time ?
There is no holes in the cam it was is a solid roller babbit bearing blank ground up by Crow cams in Australia he said it would be a nightmare working out the angles & too oil through the back of the heads into the rocker arms

There is no holes in the cam it was is a solid roller babbit bearing blank ground up by Crow cams in Australia he said it would be a nightmare working out the angles & too oil through the back of the heads into the rocker arms

Well that makes a difference ?

With full time oiling try reducing it down a bit.

And the point would be to increase the oil pressure? I think I would leave it alone. 58 PSI at 2K is plenty, plus that's a lot of oil up top......that's a good thing, right?

Helps keep the valve train cooler , but sure puts a lot of oil on the spinning crank assembly.

If you have full time oiling to the rockers, similar to what a BB would have with the external lines on Indy heads, you can run a much smaller restrictor.
.045-.050 is plenty.

WHAT OFFSET ARE THE ROCKERS ? WOULd like to see the numbers you make with the victorheads , as my build with the ede heads suck 527hp @ 5800 529tq @ 4600 if i could get 50 more hp with victors i might keep my 426

I remember reading in one of the small block books a while back about this. I believe the author recommended.060” restriction. I’ll post it here if I can find it again.

I remember reading in one of the small block books a while back about this. I believe the author recommended.060” restriction. I’ll post it here if I can find it again.

I think that would still be too much on a big block ------------jmo----------.25-.030

Dropped restrictor to 50 thou gained 10lbs pressure still have a lot of oil flow up top

Call and talk to Valley performance and machine. They built that exact same motor for a competition( which they won)
Ask for Jack..
616-522-9710

Call and talk to Valley performance and machine. They built that exact same motor for a competition( which they won)
Ask for Jack..
616-522-9710
Is t that the one where Brett Miller ported the Victor heads? Then the CID was 378, IIRC. Not a 426.

Is t that the one where Brett Miller ported the Victor heads? Then the CID was 378, IIRC. Not a 426.

no. Its the one they fabbed up the W2 tunnel ram intake to fit and made 737(770 something without muffs etc) and won that engine shootout in North Carolina) they did everything themselves, under 12 to 1, 255@50 cam, stockish stroke production 360 block. They machined my new motor
376 cid Mopar Engine

Started OK just running on Street Avenger to test still sorting out the XFI Sportsman here is a video no mufflers was surprised how much the Hookers pulled the noise level down.
Never used Solid cam before due to the memories of the clatter they used to make but that was 40 years ago was surprised how quite these are Crane Ultra pro set to .010 lash Crow ground cam inlet at .625 valve lift
Another with the Mufflers

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=r3428+no+mufflers

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=r3428+hooker

Are you sure the oil holes in the rocker shafts are facing down, & not up?

Are you sure the oil holes in the rocker shafts are facing down, & not up?
They have holes on both sides the Hughes bars are slotted at the top to bleed across the width of the rocker
Just noticed the groove should be in the bottom to allow the oil to spread across the roller i have them at the top wont affect oil pressure just the longevity of the rocker. Thanks always pays to check will rotate the bars will have to reset rocker clearance should be the same .
See Below
Rocker Shafts HUG1600 & HUG1620 Note the revised oil system on these new rocker shafts. The angled groove helps to spread the oil film on the lower side of the shaft and the lower side of the bore in the rocker. The pressure from the pushrods and valve springs are concentrated in this area so anything that encourages oil film is an improvement.

Yea, those slots, banana grooves, should be on the bottom.

Found by reducing the restrictor to 1mm = .039 thou i gain 15 psi pressure up to 75 -85 when at 3,000 but oil now only squirt 1/2" above the rocker hole then runs down the top rocker groove giving the roller tip a good coating of oil
Will increase hole to 1.5mm .059 thou should give a good result this is a oily vid at .094 thou at idle.

Found by reducing the restrictor to 1mm = .039 thou i gain 15 psi pressure up to 75 -85 when at 3,000 but oil now only squirt 1/2" above the rocker hole then runs down the top rocker groove giving the roller tip a good coating of oil
Will increase hole to 1.5mm .059 thou should give a good result this is a oily vid at .094 thou at idle.

i would be concerned that going much, if any smaller, you could possibly end up with that hole plugged up over time.
Think where you are at now is probably ideal

-
Back