Racing Harness Recertification?

-

Are you 100% sure of that? I called them this morning out of curiosity. They haven't recertified their harnesses since 2002 according to the woman I talked to. She said it had to do with liability issues. I'm curious if anyone else still does it or if they all put the cabosh on re-certifying.

I can say they did a set for me in 2010. I thought they still performed that service.

I've always used RJS and they have recertified mine. Every 2 years is a money grab scam, don't get me started. 60 year old seat belts are fine, but 2 year old harness might be dangerous!

First, to the best of my knowledge, NO seat belt company will recert anybody else's belts, only their own. So you will need to contact whoever's belts you have.
RCI used to offer a free recertification on their platinum belts, but they don't anymore. I don't even know if they still do recerts. Unfortunately I have a set of their platinums in a box that has never been opened.....and at least five years old. I guess they must have terribly deteriorated and become unsafe....while in the box.
I have Crow in one of my cars, and they still do recertification, last I checked. They used to be local to me but they moved.
Last, if you have latch/link I wouldn't bother trying to recert. While you wait for them to travel back and forth, you can get new quicker, and for almost the same money. My crow are camlock, so I'm gonna send them in.
(I think I have about ten sets of old belts around. I have found they are usefull for removing and installing engines, as a sling, so you don't scratch the paint, lol)

Last edited:
Pretty sure only the manufactuer of the belts will re-certify their own belts. I use the latch and link style belts and it's always been cheaper for me to sell off my old belts and buy a new set than have an old set re-certified.

Thanks for the input everyone. As an FYI - it sounds like RCI also does recerts for their belts and will take different manufacturer belts in as trade in for a set of theirs for $100.

This 2-yr certification on belts is a joke.

I've never tried it....but would have to agree about the liability issue....
How could they tell if they are good without some level of a destructive test???
You can't tell anything by looking at them.... they aren't cotton, so unless you can swear that they've been stored in the dark, and you've never left your car in the sun lol, then that company would be looney to say they are good after two years.

I've never tried it....but would have to agree about the liability issue....
How could they tell if they are good without some level of a destructive test???
You can't tell anything by looking at them.... they aren't cotton, so unless you can swear that they've been stored in the dark, and you've never left your car in the sun lol, then that company would be looney to say they are good after two years.
Never having done it, so this is a guess.... when belts are recerted, they just use the old hardware with new belt material. That's why it costs about 90% of new to get latch/link redone. Make sense to me if you have a $200 set of Simpson cam locks, not so much for a $65 set of RCI L/L.

First, to the best of my knowledge, NO seat belt company will recert anybody else's belts, only their own. So you will need to contact whoever's belts you have.
RCI used to offer a free recertification on their platinum belts, but they don't anymore. I don't even know if they still do recerts. Unfortunately I have a set of their platinums in a box that has never been opened.....and at least five years old. I guess they must have terribly deteriorated and become unsafe....while in the box.
RCI does Recertification for $60

Joe

A friend and myself had our rci harnesses recertified last year. They replaced all the belts, the only thing they reused was the buckles and the cam-lock.

I've always used RJS and they have recertified mine. Every 2 years is a money grab scam, don't get me started. 60 year old seat belts are fine, but 2 year old harness might be dangerous!
Agree. Absolute Joke. I haven't bothered paying to recertify a single belt, as it's not worth the dickage all said and done, by the time you can buy another new set.

What style do you guys prefer - camlock or latch? Wrap around, or bolt-on?
Camlock every time...latch and link is such a bugger when wearing a helmet...fire jacket, etc. I prefer bolt in also, but that probably depends on cage setup. I typically bolt mine to the original seatbelt bosses / seat bolts. vs the loop types.

Camlock every time...latch and link is such a bugger when wearing a helmet...fire jacket, etc. I prefer bolt in also, but that probably depends on cage setup. I typically bolt mine to the original seatbelt bosses / seat bolts. vs the loop types.

Do you mean you bolt the shoulder belts to the back two seat bolts?

I always used L/L cause I knew they would be garbage in two years. It's easier and quicker to just buy new l/l, rather than pay to ship both ways, wait for them to come back, and pay about 90% of new, just to recertify.
But, I did drive a friend's car with cam locks and my new car has cam locks (that have expired) and I like them better than the l/l. Since the car isn't ready, I can send the cam locks to get recerted for a bunch less money.
To me, recerting cam locks makes sense, recerting latch links doesnt.

as was told to me , by nhra tech, the two year limit is what military has on their belts in jet fighters, i use to work in avaition, long time ago, we had 20 year old stearman biplanes with same harness as when built in 1944, this was in 1964, never replaced any of them, airliners do not replace any belts . car belts are never replaced either. just food for thought.

I always used L/L cause I knew they would be garbage in two years. It's easier and quicker to just buy new l/l, rather than pay to ship both ways, wait for them to come back, and pay about 90% of new, just to recertify.
But, I did drive a friend's car with cam locks and my new car has cam locks (that have expired) and I like them better than the l/l. Since the car isn't ready, I can send the cam locks to get recerted for a bunch less money.
To me, recerting cam locks makes sense, recerting latch links doesnt.
What shoulder belt attachment configuration do you prefer?

What shoulder belt attachment configuration do you prefer?
Bolt into the original seat belt holes in the floor, bolt to the welded tab on the rollbar, crotch strap goes to a reinforced floor. (welded plate, top and bottom of the floor. )
In the tube car, the lap belts go to a crossmember under the floor, installed for that purpose.

as was told to me , by nhra tech, the two year limit is what military has on their belts in jet fighters, i use to work in avaition, long time ago, we had 20 year old stearman biplanes with same harness as when built in 1944, this was in 1964, never replaced any of them, airliners do not replace any belts . car belts are never replaced either. just food for thought.
Your nhra tech is merely toeing the company line , to justify the unjustifiable. The two year replacement rule is garbage, a gift to belt makers, just like the helmet rule.

Do you mean you bolt the shoulder belts to the back two seat bolts?
You can do that, yes. Or you can get the ones where the shoulder belts meet at a central chassis tab, and bolt that to the roll bar.

I have this one. Of course my way is easier with racing seats. Not sure if you have them or not.

Screenshot_20221028-055449_Chrome.jpg

What style do you guys prefer - camlock or latch? Wrap around, or bolt-on?
Camlock. Had L&L for years because they are cheaper. I switched to camlock and I like it better, easier to get on and off. I have 1 bolt on the cage behind the seat so I can use the style that comes together behind the seat or the separate ones and just bolt them to the one bolt in the middle.

-
Back