racing questions

-

wirenut

Reaction score
If my belts are over 3 years old do I have to replace them? The way I read the rules I do.

How do I determine what class My car would be in? It is a mid 10 sec foot brake car.

I have a rule book but its not that clear to me.

Post some specs on the car and combination. Looks like a regulation bracket car to me. Most tracks now have a electronics/non-electronics class for the faster cars. Do you have a delay box?

at a nhra sanctioned two the belts need to be not more then 2 years old since they were last certified....

if you have a mid 10 second car...you have a roll bar...and need a 5 pt belt....2 years is all the certification is good for.

at a nhra sanctioned two the belts need to be not more then 2 years old since they were last certified....

if you have a mid 10 second car...you have a roll bar...and need a 5 pt belt....2 years is all the certification is good for.

Thanks thats what I thought. Yes has a bar, and 5pt. harness, well out of date. I will replace.

Rick I would call it non-electronics theres no delay box, no trans brake nothing fancy.

wirenut said:
Rick I would call it non-electronics theres no delay box, no trans brake nothing fancy.

Cool, just checking. You'll probably be in a bracket with a big range of cars. Some faster and most slower. As always, driving is the key. Reaction time, reaction time, reaction time. Sound like real estate.....lol. If you want to do the points deal at your local track, i would try to get out as many times as you can this year and get familiar with the car. Then in the spring you'll be ready to go. I saw your pics on the other thread and yes i'm jealous.............lol.

You can also send them back in to get re-webbed (re-certified). It is a bit cheaper than buying new belts (about 45 bucks if I remember correctly)....but I think they only let you re-web belts 3 times. The last time I sent my belts in they stamped it with a "LAST RE-WEB", so I had to buy new belts again this last year.........and now I have yet another perfectly good set of seat belts that are "no good" according to NHRA :bs:

You can also send them back in to get re-webbed (re-certified). It is a bit cheaper than buying new belts (about 45 bucks if I remember correctly)....but I think they only let you re-web belts 3 times. The last time I sent my belts in they stamped it with a "LAST RE-WEB", so I had to buy new belts again this last year.........and now I have yet another perfectly good set of seat belts that are "no good" according to NHRA :bs:

Good info, Thanks

Cracks me up,,You can have a 12 second car with 40 year old factory lap belts and that's no problem,You can go racing ! I can't see belts that would be bad in three years.Helmets have 10 or 12 year Snell limit.I never did understand why the belt ruling is so short.

Cracks me up,,You can have a 12 second car with 40 year old factory lap belts and that's no problem,You can go racing ! I can't see belts that would be bad in three years.Helmets have 10 or 12 year Snell limit.I never did understand why the belt ruling is so short.

Yeah, when I raced circle track I figured it was because of the pounding they could take in wrecks. It may just be that theres no easy way to test them so to reduce liability just change em?

If the car ran the 1/8 w/4.88s will I need to change to a different gear for the 1/4?

If the car ran the 1/8 w/4.88s will I need to change to a different gear for the 1/4?

10.50 in the 1/4 is around 126 mph thru the traps. I'm guessing from the pic, your tire is 29". That would put you about 7200 in the lights. All depends on where your making power and the strenghth of the engine build.

Just for reference.......4.57 = 6700..4.30 = 6300..4.10 = 6000. These are approx. because converter slip can alter these numbers.

Attachments

• Wirenut.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 248

If you are not required to have a roll bar/cage (required 11.49 or quicker), then the 2 year belt rule does not apply. NHRA rule book, sec 10:5

10.50 in the 1/4 is around 126 mph thru the traps. I'm guessing from the pic, your tire is 29". That would put you about 7200 in the lights. All depends on where your making power and the strenghth of the engine build.

Just for reference.......4.57 = 6700..4.30 = 6300..4.10 = 6000. These are approx. because converter slip can alter these numbers.

Rick,
The tires are 31". The rev limiter is set at 6800. Cam specs says power band 3500-7k. Thanks for your help.

Rick,
The tires are 31". The rev limiter is set at 6800. Cam specs says power band 3500-7k. Thanks for your help.

Cool.........That's more in the 66/6700 range. I think your good for now. That's a great lookin' car and it's gonna be a fun ride:thumblef:.

Good info here.I do inow the no rollbar zone,was rolled back to 11.49 a while back.Is it safe to say,about the vehicle's OE seatbelts?Haven't done NHRA,since 97.

Cool.........That's more in the 66/6700 range. I think your good for now. That's a great lookin' car and it's gonna be a fun ride:thumblef:.[/QUO

Rick thanks for your input, very apreciated.

What I've done in the past on building a new race car was follow the rules the best of your ability. Then I took the car to a sanctioned NHRA event and ran it through tech. They will be glad to tell you where and what you need to change.

-
Back