rack and pinion

-

svitaks

Reaction score
I have heard of people using Dakota and Saturn rack and pinions in Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports, just wondering if there was anyone who has done it or can help me out.

Why would you want to do that? A good recirculating ball unit such as can be had from Firm Feel or Chrysler part# 3643375 (police box) is as good as or better than any rack and pinion unit in terms or road feel and handling response.

I was just curious as to how they mounted it. If it was promising enough i would do it. Thanks for the sugestion on the firm feel, I'll look into them. thanks again

Why would you want to do that? A good recirculating ball unit such as can be had from Firm Feel or Chrysler part# 3643375 (police box) is as good as or better than any rack and pinion unit in terms or road feel and handling response.

I have heard firm feels box's missing parts needed to complete the iunstallation. I may be mistaken. BUT, a rack is lighter.

Iv heard you need to use E body bottom ball joints is that true?
Iv got a pinto rack I want to install in my 70 duster, perhaps a dakota rack would be better?

I have heard firm feels box's missing parts needed to complete the iunstallation. I may be mistaken. BUT, a rack is lighter.

Firm Feel makes good products but you will pay for it. I used to run the stage 2 Firm Feel box and it was nice. IMO the advantage of a rack is the increased header clearance. With the stock setup your headers will run tight on linkage and the steering box.

I've never seen a steering box that has as good of a feel as a rack, manual or power. I am attempting to put a rack into my 73' duster, but would love to get some dimensions and a few other misc questions answered.

the rack has to be lighter. and as far as them feeling the same i find that hard to believe. they may feel close but there is just too much stuff in a stock set up to have play in. the box, tie rod ends, pitman arm,idler arm all have to have some kind of flex and play even when new.

Joe is right the stock set up has many more potential points of failure. I have run both the stock linkage and rack in my car The rack wins but I do miss the power box when making a 3 point turn. The rack is more accurate and much cleaner. Getting rid of the tbars and linkage gives you a nice clean set up with lots of clearance.

but I do miss the power box when making a 3 point turn.

you need a power rack...lol.. i put one in my car last year and man is it nice. won't fit in the early a though will it?

I have heard of people using Dakota and Saturn rack and pinions in Dusters, Demons, Dart Sports, just wondering if there was anyone who has done it or can help me out.

I'm using a cop car box from a Diplomat (along with pump and cooler, too.) The Dip box has a different pitman arm that the Demon had. One has the connection joint facing down, the other facing up. Can't recall which is which. The steering geometry is unchanged which ever is used. I put the Demon arm on just to avoid confusion. The box has good feel, is very durable, and easy to install.

FWIW: Mercedes didn't start phasing in r&p until the 97 model year. Til then, their rationale had been that r&p didn't have the durability they expected in their fast, heavy cars.

you need a power rack...lol.. i put one in my car last year and man is it nice. won't fit in the early a though will it?

No power racks for the early A. Not enough clearance from the oil pan. We tried to do it but I needed another 3/4inch

are the flaming river pinto racks as easy to install and aline as the dakota racks? being that Im in Australia and daks dont exist here but flaming river parts do Im kinda limited to my choices plus every other rack here is for right hand drive vehicles, Im not going to convert my duster to rhd, no way

-
Back