Rad and fan combo

-

Sparky

Reaction score
I am sure this may have been covered, I admit I have not searched the whole thread, so many posts. I have a 68 cuda 340 s and I am in the process of putting in another 340 so I can rest my numbers motor. I am dead set on putting in a aluminum rad and electric fan. I love the look and I have one in my Mustang with a hot 351 and it works great. The 340 I am putting in is not stock and I want to avoid any cooling issues as the car will run a little too hot if you are going slow on a hot day right now. For those of you that have gone down this road, What are you using? what works the best in your experience etc.

A hot day in Canada?
If I had a real Formula S and was dead set on an aluminum radiator I'd go with a Cold-case and paint it black.
One of the vendors here. Don't be fooled by the old 3row 4row BS. Dual 1" to 1-1/4" tubes are better.
There are also alum rads on eBay that have an optional black finish.

A hot day in Canada?
If I had a real Formula S and was dead set on an aluminum radiator I'd go with a Cold-case and paint it black.
One of the vendors here. Don't be fooled by the old 3row 4row BS. Dual 1" to 1-1/4" tubes are better.
There are also alum rads on eBay that have an optional black finish.
Color not a issue but I will keep that in mind,thanks

If it tends to run warm; on my 367 I traced it to the piston skirt clearance being too tight. But I fixed that.
Nat; what elevation are you at?
With elevation changes comes the rigmarole of swapping jets every IIRC 2000 ft. . If you forget, then the engine tends to put out heat, depending which way you are going.
Now, with an electric fan set-up, the question is; can it control the coolant tempt over a narrow enough range, for it to keep it's tune.
I know you want what you want,
but I gotta tell you; having the coolant temp controlled to within 2*, I put a tune in mine that stays.And because of that, I can run a many-times patched rad from a 1973 Dart 318 A/C car, in my 68 Formula S clonecar HO367, that by it's trapspeed is making 430hp, at an engine temp between 205 and 207 by the IR-gun.
I absolutely do wish you the best.

If it tends to run warm; on my 367 I traced it to the piston skirt clearance being too tight. But I fixed that.
Nat; what elevation are you at?
With elevation changes comes the rigmarole of swapping jets every IIRC 2000 ft. . If you forget, then the engine tends to put out heat, depending which way you are going.
Now, with an electric fan set-up, the question is; can it control the coolant tempt over a narrow enough range, for it to keep it's tune.
I know you want what you want,
but I gotta tell you; having the coolant temp controlled to within 2*, I put a tune in mine that stays.And because of that, I can run a many-times patched rad from a 1973 Dart 318 A/C car, in my 68 Formula S clonecar HO367, that by it's trapspeed is making 430hp, at an engine temp between 205 and 207 by the IR-gun.
I absolutely do wish you the best.
Thanks. I particularly like the way an electric fan cleans up the engine bay. I live in the mountains so elevation changes happen. Just want something that will stay cool for example in a parade or prolonged time having to drive real slow.

Sparky, I see you are interested in both Exhaust and Radiator. Shoot me a PM if you want me to hook you up with both. Your PM is full otherwise, I would have PM'd you. :)

Only issue is figuring out a way to get big boxes to you in BC! Maybe you come down to show in US?

Sparky, I see you are interested in both Exhaust and Radiator. Shoot me a PM if you want me to hook you up with both. Your PM is full otherwise, I would have PM'd you. :)

Only issue is figuring out a way to get big boxes to you in BC! Maybe you come down to show in US?
Cleaned the box out. Have time before I decide about the rad and fan, going electric for sure. Interested in what you have though. Undecided about electric cut outs, sound like they all have leaking issues. That idea was just to have fun with it, not required for racing or anything like that. Just wanted to rattle the windows downtown. lol

Don't skimp on a fan either. If it doesn't move between 3000-4000 CFM, it ain't gonna make it.

@goldduster318 @DrCharles have experience with this. I had clearance issues and went with a Maradyne system for my 22" rad. Will have to wait until next summer to see how well it will cool my 408 but it sure pulls stuff into the rad from in front of the car. Figure the fans should only have to cool it while idling or low speeds, after that, the ram air should cool it if the rad is sized properly. I think the Contour fans would be even better if you have the 26" radiator. For what it's worth!
20201207_001923.jpg

@goldduster318 @DrCharles have experience with this. I had clearance issues and went with a Maradyne system for my 22" rad. Will have to wait until next summer to see how well it will cool my 408 but it sure pulls stuff into the rad from in front of the car. Figure the fans should only have to cool it while idling or low speeds, after that, the ram air should cool it if the rad is sized properly. I think the Contour fans would be even better if you have the 26" radiator. For what it's worth!
View attachment 1715646693
Looks great!!!

I am sure this may have been covered, I admit I have not searched the whole thread, so many posts. I have a 68 cuda 340 s and I am in the process of putting in another 340 so I can rest my numbers motor. I am dead set on putting in a aluminum rad and electric fan. I love the look and I have one in my Mustang with a hot 351 and it works great. The 340 I am putting in is not stock and I want to avoid any cooling issues as the car will run a little too hot if you are going slow on a hot day right now. For those of you that have gone down this road, What are you using? what works the best in your experience etc.
Check out Griffin radiators IMO they are the best and made in the USA
I have had several - no issues.
Quality products
I will not bullshit ya I am not a fan of electric fans - never could get them to perform. If you go that route make dam sure your electrical system is big enough to handle the added load.
I would lose the stock ammeter so it dont fry.

Last edited:
Check out Griffin radiators IMO they are the best and made in the USA
I have had several - no issues.
Quality products
I will not bullshit ya I am not a fan of electric fans - never could get them to perform. If you go that route make dam sure your electrical system is big enough to handle the added load.
I would lose the stock ammeter so it dont fry.
Maybe I should just go with a nice aluminum upgraded rad and then try to track down a shroud. Certainly less effort and potential problems with electric fans avoided. Are shrouds hard to come by? Have not researched yet. Thanks for your post.

Maybe I should just go with a nice aluminum upgraded rad and then try to track down a shroud. Certainly less effort and potential problems with electric fans avoided. Are shrouds hard to come by? Have not researched yet. Thanks for your post.
Good choice
Stock shrouds can be hard to find. I found mine here with a wanted ad.

-
Back