Radiator and Driveline help

-

1968 Valiant

Reaction score
So I just realized as I was getting ready to order my Schumaker engine kit that they are six miles from my house. LOL I am going to just go pick them up.

Two last things I am missing are a radiator and driveline.

Can anyone tell me what the best donor cars or parts are for this? I am putting a 1978 440 in my 68 Valiant. I am assuming my Current slant six radiator and 904 driveline will not work.

Also Will the exhaust mahifolds and Oil Pan off a 68 C-body 383 fit in my Valiant on this motor??

Thanks

Need a radiator... Make sure the outlet (side) matches the water pump housing you plan to use. Pan should work, exh manifolds will not without modification. Best bet is to budget for headers or head to Bigblockdart.com. They have a modified set of Hi-pos from someone over there that should work for less coin. You should plan on getting a V8 rear, and a new driveshaft too.

So I just realized as I was getting ready to order my Schumaker engine kit that they are six miles from my house. LOL I am going to just go pick them up.

Two last things I am missing are a radiator and driveline.

Can anyone tell me what the best donor cars or parts are for this? I am putting a 1978 440 in my 68 Valiant. I am assuming my Current slant six radiator and 904 driveline will not work.

Also Will the exhaust mahifolds and Oil Pan off a 68 C-body 383 fit in my Valiant on this motor??

Thanks
Good luck...follow the directions and tip that come with the Shumacher kit..they are very helpfull...also my thread may help you save alot of money and time...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=96239

I have an 8 3/4 for an a body ready to go.

My question is what could I steal a driveline out of that could be cut down in length and fit and what size minimum radiator I need....

My stock slant car came with A/C so it had a 22" radiator. I used it with a stock shroud and a 7 blade clutch fan that I bought from another member on this site. My 9:1 383 runs at 185-190 all day and even in some stop and go traffic the other day when it was 94 degrees. Not saying its ideal because some may disagree but it works great for me.

I have an 8 3/4 for an a body ready to go.

My question is what could I steal a driveline out of that could be cut down in length and fit and what size minimum radiator I need....
Follow Mr. Shumacher's recommendations...upgrade brakes..upgrade cooling etc...he suggests getting another radiator and cut the hole in the radiator support to allow maximum amount of air...this thread will show you and alternate choice...one that I researched and am sharing....

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=100851

When you put a 440 in an A body the distance from the tip of the water pump to the radiator core is anywhere from 3 1/4 inches to maybe 3 1/2 inches..this limits what kind of fan you can use..some say that a Hayden clutch for a Jaguer would work...I did not go that route..I had a 18" flex fan and shroud and it did not cool for me..8)

I was not able to make c body manifolds work in my 70 Duster. Bigblockdart.com has a tech archive that will tell you which manifolds will work in a A body.

Here's the radiator,electric fan, and water pump on my 10 sec pump gas street car.

0503001621.jpg

2010-04-3095180531.jpg

0503001552.jpg

My stock slant car came with A/C so it had a 22" radiator. I used it with a stock shroud and a 7 blade clutch fan that I bought from another member on this site. My 9:1 383 runs at 185-190 all day and even in some stop and go traffic the other day when it was 94 degrees. Not saying its ideal because some may disagree but it works great for me.
The real key to your cooling is that 7 blade clutch fan...8)

I got a brand new Ford Aerostar radiator off ebay for $35 w/free shipping. I was about the largest i could fit in the space. The Inlet and outlet were in the right place too.

-
Back